Pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6
Author: Subject: My cooling system
Membersubaruboxer
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 20

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on May 7th, 2005 at 08:52 PM

and the right side

In the meantime I had some trouble with radiators. I took 3 radiators out of cars that i rode as daily drivers and stored them for a longer period of time. When I put them into my bug they were all leaking. I went for a new one now. If you store a used radiator, fill it up with coolant (not just water) if you want to use it later on.

[Edited on 16-5-2005 by subaruboxer]

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Membersubaruboxer

posted on May 16th, 2005 at 08:05 PM

Yesterday I put the new radiator in and filled the system with coolant. Two weeks ago I changed the routing of the hose to the heater. When I moved the trans up I had so little room in front of the engine, that I thougt it is best to get the hose away from under the intake manifold. It is now running between the manifold and the alternator over to the right side and under the manifold to the heater under the rear seat.

And because of this setup and my very low positioned heater, on the pan under the rear seat, it is more difficult to get the air out and the system filled properly.

I had the engine running 3 minutes,let it cool down and liftet
the front of the car up with a jack. After cooling for 20 minutes I let it down again, refilled coolant and had it running
5 minutes. I repeated it 2 more times. As I sad before it is important to the leave the cap on while cooling down. Take your time when filling the coolant!
A photo of the the new setup will follow.
MemberRobvB
Learner Dubber

Threads: 0

posted on July 20th, 2005 at 10:31 PM

Hi SubaruBoxer,

Very nice work !

Couple questions:
What year golf is that rad out of, is it from a GTi ?

Where did you get the fuel pump clamp ? Is that also stock Golf ? (I have the same pump I think).
Did you modify the pump to get the straight exit ? Mine has a banjo fitting at the end.

Thanks,

Rob.
Memberflat_iv
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 28

posted on July 20th, 2005 at 10:36 PM

How did you plumb your expansion tank lines into the radiator lines/heater core lines?
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on July 20th, 2005 at 10:55 PM

herb if there is plenty of air getting to that rad then the issue is not the rad, it must be a leak or something. My car sat on 80deg at 110km/h all the way to stockton the other day, and that was with a stock EJ25 rad with a scoop pushing air in front of it. Is your water pump good?

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
Membersubaruboxer

posted on July 22nd, 2005 at 04:15 AM

The new radiator.

Hi Rob,

the radiator is of a '82 golf Gti, the fuel pump is a Bosch.
What is a fuel pump damp?
I would not install a Gti radiator again, I would instead choose a full metall (aluminium) radiator ove the plastic/metall ones. A good source for finding the right rad is eBay. You find all measurments there and pictures of the rads, and you can compare prices. The Japanese cars come with pretty good rads.

The Gti fuel pump would put out to much pressure for my engine.

Hi flat_iv,

the expansion tank lines go to the heater line right at the engine.

Jörg

Error
Member72RSbug

No Avatar

Threads: 49

posted on July 22nd, 2005 at 06:49 AM

@subaruboxer,seems like you have the exact same way of mounting the fan up front.
I have 3 pieces of aloy to mount it but one already broke after about 2 months of driving it.
Memberrubyred
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 4

Mood: turby

posted on July 22nd, 2005 at 07:17 AM

oh man, good thing i read this...can someone tell me more about needing the heater to be connected?

i am not using a heater on my ej, and i did actually block the heater tube on the coolant manifold. should i just unplug it, and run a hose connecting the coolant manifold, to the bottom water inlet?

thanks a bunch.
-Ryan

MemberRobvB
Learner Dubber

Threads: 0

posted on July 22nd, 2005 at 07:19 AM

I meant the Clamp, the bracket which holds the pump.
I need one of those, but have been unable to find it.

Man, I can't believe how clean that rad install is.... nice work !

Rob.

Quote:
Originally posted by subaruboxer
The new radiator.

Hi Rob,

the radiator is of a '82 golf Gti, the fuel pump is a Bosch.
What is a fuel pump damp?
I would not install a Gti radiator again, I would instead choose a full metall (aluminium) radiator ove the plastic/metall ones. A good source for finding the right rad is eBay. You find all measurments there and pictures of the rads, and you can compare prices. The Japanese cars come with pretty good rads.

Hi flat_iv,

the expansion tank lines go to the heater line right at the engine.

Jörg
Memberricola
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 9

posted on July 22nd, 2005 at 09:37 PM

You will probably find that a VW coil clamp is ideal for most fuel pumps!

Rich

Memberpete wood
23 Windows of Awesome

no.gif posted on July 22nd, 2005 at 09:59 PM
too much pressure?

Quote:
Hi Rob,

Jörg

Umm, the fuel pump dosen't control the pressure, the pressure regulator does. It's on the left hand rear side of the rear fuel reail as you are facing the engine from the rear of the car.
People use larger fuel pumps for extra fuel flow (hence more HP), not pressure. I am using a (EFI) pump of a 3litre turbo engine that's rated for over 300 HP, as I understand. It doesn't cause pressure problems because the pressure regulator, the factory one I might add, controls the pressure in the lines. You'll only get pressure issues if the regulator isn't working properly.
Just thought you might like to know.

Membersubaruboxer

posted on July 23rd, 2005 at 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ricola
You will probably find that a VW coil clamp is ideal for most fuel pumps!

Rich

Hi Rich,

you are right again, mine is aVW coil clamp too!
Jörg
Membersubaruboxer

posted on July 23rd, 2005 at 02:57 AM

Quote:
Umm, the fuel pump dosen't control the pressure, the pressure regulator does. It's on the left hand rear side of the rear fuel reail as you are facing the engine from the rear of the car.
People use larger fuel pumps for extra fuel flow (hence more HP), not pressure. I am using a (EFI) pump of a 3litre turbo engine that's rated for over 300 HP, as I understand. It doesn't cause pressure problems because the pressure regulator, the factory one I might add, controls the pressure in the lines. You'll only get pressure issues if the regulator isn't working properly.

I didn't say that the pump controlls the pressure. And if you know of the regulator , as I do, you should know that
you can't gain power by installing a fuel pump that puts out more pressure. The regulator keeps the pressure at a certain level, not more or less! If you don't modify the regulator, you put more pressure to the hoses or tubes from the tank to the engine(regulator), but not to the injectors. You can't gain power by adding a stronger fuel pump to a bone stock engine. But you have to install different hoses or tubes for the higher pressure and those are more expensive as is a stronger fuel pump. To me it makes no sense.

Jörg
Membersubaruboxer

posted on July 23rd, 2005 at 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rubyred
oh man, good thing i read this...can someone tell me more about needing the heater to be connected?

i am not using a heater on my ej, and i did actually block the heater tube on the coolant manifold. should i just unplug it, and run a hose connecting the coolant manifold, to the bottom water inlet?

thanks a bunch.
-Ryan

Hi Ryan,

you should connect the two heater tubes if you have no heater installed.

Jörg
Membersubaruboxer

posted on July 23rd, 2005 at 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 72RSbug
@subaruboxer,seems like you have the exact same way of mounting the fan up front.
I have 3 pieces of aloy to mount it but one already broke after about 2 months of driving it.

Hi 72rsbug,

thanks for the note, I will keep an eye on it.

Jörg
Memberpete wood
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on July 23rd, 2005 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't say that the pump controlls the pressure. And if you know of the regulator , as I do, you should know that
you can't gain power by installing a fuel pump that puts out more pressure. The regulator keeps the pressure at a certain level, not more or less! If you don't modify the regulator, you put more pressure to the hoses or tubes from the tank to the engine(regulator), but not to the injectors. You can't gain power by adding a stronger fuel pump to a bone stock engine. But you have to install different hoses or tubes for the higher pressure and those are more expensive as is a stronger fuel pump. To me it makes no sense.

Jörg

I added a stronger pump to a bone stock engine for two reasons. 1. The standard EFi pump for subies is in tank and I needed an external one, and, 2. it was cheaper and more easily available than the stock liberty EFI pump. Besides, if it's stronger then it should be under less stress than the standard one.

It flowing a buck-load more fuel than the standard unit didn't come into the equation really. Just a lucky by-product.

Anyway, I got off topic, sorry. The point I was making was that a more powerful fuel pump won't increase the pressure in your fuel lines, just the amount of fuel flow.nn[ Edited on 23-7-2005 by pete wood ]

Membersubaruboxer

posted on July 23rd, 2005 at 07:42 PM

Hi Pete,

the subaru fuel pump puts out 2,5 bar pressure and the Gti fuel pump (the one that was talked about) puts out 4,7 to 5,4 bar pressure. That is more than twice the pressure you need for a subie engine. The K-Jetronic is working with this high pressure.

A higher fuel flow doesn't make sense with the regulator, either. The regulator is sending more fuel back to your tank, you have your fuel flowing faster from the tank to the engine and back again.

I understand your situation, it was available cheap and does work of course. But it is nothing to be recommended.

Jörg
Memberrubyred
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 4

Mood: turby

posted on July 24th, 2005 at 12:21 PM

i think you should counter the big fuel pump with a massive turbo upgrade and some beefy injectors :P

Memberhotdog008
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 8

posted on July 24th, 2005 at 04:09 PM

ryan,
you need to run water from the top manifold
to the bottom thermostate housing (easy to use your old heater hose out) so your thermostate works properly
with out this it only sees cool water and will not open untill too late
hotdog ej20t manx
Memberseagull
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 752

posted on July 24th, 2005 at 09:21 PM
This is the set up in my new toy

This is a three row , with a 8" fan I have a small pipe at the top , this returns the water and air back to my fill point & bleeds the system of any air .I have had mine running in the shed , with no problems

Jak & Matt have my header>fill tanks fitted to there WRX machines > and I have not been informed that they had problems with there cars .

To make my set worse I have a wheel smack in the front of my radiator , we will soon see if it gets hot .
Lets see whu can guess what my subaru motor is in now .

Error

Looking for that special lady : PM me for coffee & cake
Memberpete wood
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on July 24th, 2005 at 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rubyred
i think you should counter the big fuel pump with a massive turbo upgrade and some beefy injectors :P

you're a very bad man ruby red, maybe I should report you... :D

but seriously, I wish, unfortunately the motor is too big to do that legally, and before you suggest it, I'm not doing it illegally either. ;)

Memberpete wood
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on July 24th, 2005 at 10:07 PM

Quote:
Hi Pete,

the subaru fuel pump puts out 2,5 bar pressure and the Gti fuel pump (the one that was talked about) puts out 4,7 to 5,4 bar pressure. That is more than twice the pressure you need for a subie engine. The K-Jetronic is working with this high pressure.

A higher fuel flow doesn't make sense with the regulator, either. The regulator is sending more fuel back to your tank, you have your fuel flowing faster from the tank to the engine and back again.

I understand your situation, it was available cheap and does work of course. But it is nothing to be recommended.

Jörg

You may be right, but I haven't had an issue yet, and besides the less time the fuel spends near the engine the cooler it stays. Also, as the fuel flows more times it passes throught filter more times, so there is an upside. But I take your concerns. I stop getting off topic now. :)

Membersubaruboxer

posted on September 26th, 2005 at 03:33 AM

As I had the engine out, for changing the clutch, I took the chance to throw the heater out. I heard that I don't need one to get it registered. A little electric fan to defog the windows is all I need. It was always a little annoying while filling the coolant. This pichture shows how the two heater hoses are connected now. The T-piece goes to the expansion tank.

[ Edited on 14-10-2005 by subaruboxer ]

Error
Membersubaruboxer

posted on October 15th, 2005 at 05:53 AM

Had the beetle on the road for a few days, unfortunately the summer is over here, so that it was not possible to do real tests in warm weather. But at a constant speed of 160 kph everything was just fine. When I went 180 kph for 5 minutes the temps went up to 95 degrees. The temp of the of the ambient air was 25 celcius. As I don't like the whole pattern now that I had it on the street, I will let air in to the radiator through the horn grills and the area under the bumper only.
Memberjamesbissland
Casual Dubber

Threads: 15

posted on October 18th, 2005 at 04:11 PM

Looks great!!
Memberflat_iv
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 28

posted on November 17th, 2005 at 11:17 AM

I noticed your reverse water neck.. Did you reweld the end of the neck to clear the engine? Or did you just slide a longer 90 deg. hose to make up the difference? Silicone hose.?

Thanks
Membersubaruboxer

posted on November 18th, 2005 at 03:55 AM

Hi flat_iv,

i just cut the manifold, took a dremel tool made a groove into it for the hose and put a 90° silicon hose on it. It is a reducer (38 to 32 mm). It did fit perfectly, it is not a longer one.

Jörg

[ Edited on 17-11-2005 by subaruboxer ]
Membersubaruboxer

posted on May 13th, 2006 at 07:03 PM

As I didn´t like the look with the holes in the front, I want to have a sleeper look, I changed it a bit!

Here is what it looks like now!

Error

Error

Error
Membersubaruboxer

posted on May 13th, 2006 at 07:05 PM

I put hoses (70 mm ) to the horn grills that bring air to the top of the radiator now!

Error

Error

Error
Membersubaruboxer

posted on May 13th, 2006 at 07:13 PM

I painted the scoop, and everything else visible black to hide it. Now it is looking pretty stock!

I tested it on the German Autobahn without the hoses to the top of the radiator, at a constant speed of 150 kph it was fine. Faster and the temps went up! Then I connected the hoses to the horn grills, and went three times 180 km/h for 20 minutes. The watertemp was sitting at 90° and the oiltemp at 110°!

Now I have to wait for the summer to come, and we will see what it is like at 30 degrees celcius.

The temp now is 15 to 20 degrees celcius.

I am pretty happy with the way it looks now.

What do you think about it?

[ Edited on 13-1-2007 by subaruboxer ]

[ Edited on 21-4-2007 by subaruboxer ]

Error

Error
 Pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6

Go To Top