MemberDave-super74
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on July 8th, 2005 at 08:19 AM
difference between markIII and 4th generation Golf

Hi

I am looking to purchase a small car for my wife.
I am thinking of golf as one of my options.

I was wondering if there are any major differences
between the mark 3 and 4th generation Golf.

Is there any particular model to get or avoid.?

thanks in advance
David
MemberKombi_Rescue
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 35

Mood: DSK member

posted on July 8th, 2005 at 08:54 AM

a mk4 is way superior to a mk3....a little more interior room ,less road noise a better chassis...same as a A3/TT audi/new bug...there is a price to pay in hard dollars and cents between the two models....a 20v mk 4 is more powerful versiopn over the 1.6 which is highly economical..if fuel isn't the limiting factor a GTI mk4 is the dogs bollucks,,,,stk 110kw very easy to drive but only in 5sp g/box...upgrade later to 143kw only with a chip tune a great car to pass on down to yourself after a couple years..win win I think cheers steve ps seen some 99 gti for 18-19k good buy at that.

http://www.frenzix.com/dsk/dskforumbanners/dskbannertemplatesteve.gif
MemberSteveMk2
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 27

Mood: I always cruise flippantly...

posted on July 9th, 2005 at 12:47 PM

I wouldnt say the Mk4 is a superior chassis. The Mk3 is quite capable. Both are great cars. The main thing that goes wrong is window regs, which can be quite expensive. This applies to both. Mk4's have a rare sump problem, as it is set quite low, and can hit on very uneven terrain. The Mk4 has by far and away a more substantial list of mod cons. The Mk4 will be more expensive to run, particularly when it comes to tyres, although a bigger rolling radius smooths out the bumps a bit. Mk4 is also a bit bigger than 3 in all dimensions, however, neither is tiny. Pick of the bunch engine wise is the 2.0 for effortless torquey round town and highway cruising. A Mk3 VR6 or Mk4 GTI is a lot more entertaining, but will be more expensive.

A low mileage Mk3 could be a better buy than an equivalently priced high mileage Mk3. Depends on your budget.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/mk2boy/sig%20copy.jpg
Steve. Classic 85 Mk2 2dr GTI 8v Optioned sunroof and 15"BBS RS alloys. Koni yellow and H&R, Balanced bottom end, flowed top end, Neuspeed 268 cam.
Membervwrallycar
A.k.a.: Andrew Rankin
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 83

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on July 10th, 2005 at 08:19 PM

apparently many electrical problems with the mark 4
MemberSteveMk2

posted on July 10th, 2005 at 09:32 PM

I have heard of a couple with the windows, but like I said, they arent common. The only common problem with Mk3's and 4's are the window regs. They fail. Once they replace the old plastic items with metal ones, the problem is solved. Have to disagree. Not many. I have known a whole bunch of Mk4 owners through vwvortex, and the information I have given is borne from their experience.

Steve. Classic 85 Mk2 2dr GTI 8v Optioned sunroof and 15"BBS RS alloys. Koni yellow and H&R, Balanced bottom end, flowed top end, Neuspeed 268 cam.
Membervwrallycar
A.k.a.: Andrew Rankin
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 83

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on July 11th, 2005 at 07:44 PM

i have also heard of the computers dying in mark 4's and new beetles. perhaps not all but its certainly happening.
would definately love a mark 4 GTI myself
MemberSteveMk2

posted on July 11th, 2005 at 09:50 PM

MkV GTI is better. Far better. If performance is your thing, go really old or new. Mk3 and 4 were too soft. Coilovers helps a bit, as does a chip. But give me my genuine Mk2 GTI anyday...

I have not heard of any computers dying. No one has mentioned it on VWVortex.

MemberDave-super74
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

posted on July 12th, 2005 at 10:24 AM

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I had rang GTI imports in SYDNEY. HE has confirmed that even a
new waterpump was around $ 100 , so I think I will be definately a
buy a late Golf. So may be a late mark 3 or a early mark 4.

is 2000 the year when mrk 4 came out?

Budget is aound $ 18000 , but we do have a car to trade in.
So I guess its the swap over price for me.

I will look for a 2 litre engine size....but is it like the aircooled engines
where I can fit other engines into the same bay? As I plan to
keep the car for a few years.

But I just wanted to have something for the wife that I know
its reliable and I can do some general service work on it myself.

thanks
David
MemberSteveMk2

posted on July 12th, 2005 at 10:30 PM

Mk4 came out 1998 with a 20V 1.8. In late 99 (i think) they swapped with a torquier 2.0 8V.

Definitely go with a 2.0. 1.6 is slooooooooooooowwwww.... But economical. You wont be changing the engine. Modern cars are a PITA when it comes to engine work. A 2.0 will last you, and is more than sufficient for trouble and worry free motoring. The engines are bulletproof. If performance is your thing, 18K will get you a sweet late model Mk3 VR6. Nose heavy, but quick.

Yes, all VW watercooled engines (apart from late passat, touareg and phaeton) are interchangeable.

Memberzjm

Threads: 23

Mood: undecided

posted on July 27th, 2005 at 10:57 PM

$100 is a cheap water pump when there could be $10000
dollars difference between a mk3 and similar mk4

be aware now that mk 5 golf has arived mk4 prices are almost certainly going to plummet so psyche your self up for the money youre about to lose over the next 6 months on that mk4

a mate of mine is trying to sell his a3 audi 1.8turbo for $18000 It has depreciated about the price of a new commodore in 4 years ouch:o
Membercrewcabconnection
Custom Title Time!
Being Sid James

Threads: 293

Mood: Looking forward to week 10

posted on July 27th, 2005 at 11:18 PM

or import whatever you like from the UK, they've got boxes of em for stuff all, and Corrados' too.....they too are on the RTAs okay list......I vote the Mrk2 GTI 16v. Height of GTI finesse and the only thing to give Peugoet 205 1.9 a decent run for their money. After that everyone got gay if you ask me.

Loves a lolcat
MemberSteveMk2

posted on July 29th, 2005 at 08:54 PM

Explain how everyone being homosexual affected cars after the 16V?

Also, the 8V was a sweet a handler as the 16V. In fact, most people acknowledge the 8V was nearly as quick, and you didnt have to change cogs as often as in a 16V. Torque was right where you needed it. Mk2 8V and 16V arent quite the handler the 205 was, but they were not far behind and werent french and therefore built well.

As for just importing any car from UK, only up to 1990. After that, new laws prohibit importation.

With depreciation, bear in mind Mk4 prices have plummetted already because of the MkV and wont go too much lower. This does mean Mk3 is an absolute bargain. Doesnt mean Mk4 is overpriced. You like mod cons, go the Mk4. Otherwise it all personal.

Membercrewcabconnection
Custom Title Time!
Being Sid James

posted on July 29th, 2005 at 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveMk2
Explain how everyone being homosexual affected cars after the 16V?

Also, the 8V was a sweet a handler as the 16V. In fact, most people acknowledge the 8V was nearly as quick, and you didnt have to change cogs as often as in a 16V. Torque was right where you needed it. Mk2 8V and 16V arent quite the handler the 205 was, but they were not far behind and werent french and therefore built well.

As for just importing any car from UK, only up to 1990. After that, new laws prohibit importation.

With depreciation, bear in mind Mk4 prices have plummetted already because of the MkV and wont go too much lower. This does mean Mk3 is an absolute bargain. Doesnt mean Mk4 is overpriced. You like mod cons, go the Mk4. Otherwise it all personal.

It's a time and place thing, the 8v Golf didn't have the torque to keep up with a Peugeot 1.9 in a straight line or in the bends. After having various 205 1.9s, straight and with after market turbos, in the early 90s, nothing with GTI on it really matched it ... but the 16v Golf, which was a very capable foe....so much so that I jumped ship - (it also didn't rattle and drop to bits).

I also liked it over the VR6, as it was less prone to torque steer. For my money the 16v Golf was the best of the GTI era in the late 80's and early 90's. It summed up the entire point of it. The Pug was wickedly fun, but no where near as well made, the Renault 5 never started when it was hot and fell to bits before you got it home, the XR3 was never in the same class and then in the mid 90's there are a series of wanna be's from Rover and even Ford, but nothing really did for the 'GTI' mantra what the 16V Golf did.

I use the term 'gay' as a hugely misplaced, ill informed and generalised sweeping phase to sum up the demise of the GTI in it's true ethos by the likes of Rover to get on the bandwagon, by making inferior machines, usually at lower cost, driven by the less able, which they then totalled, which in turn raised the costs of insurance and almost made them un-buyable by anyone under 30. Theres nothing wrong with being gay, If I wasn't straight I'd seriously consider it and humbally appologise to anyone who quite rightly chooses that special cuddle others of the same sex. (Hi to my mate Darren, who doesn't special cuddle me, but does special cuddle Lucas, whos reciprocates - I am lead to believe, though not sure if this happens in their VW, not that I'd have a problem with that as long as they close the curtains - but then I would hope anyone having special cuddles of any gender mix or orientation would do in order to not offend other minorities, or indeed majorities).....I thought I'd summarise, but might have used 'wus'd out' - but then I might offend the princesses, lightweights and gunnas out there).

Loves a lolcat
Membercrewcabconnection
Custom Title Time!
Being Sid James

posted on July 29th, 2005 at 11:31 PM

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedCarID=781837&TabID=3328&Alias=carpointau

Then compaire to what you get on the http://www.autotrader.co.uk. 

I guess that's why I thought good import price, might get one here for 6k not 10k.nn[ Edited on 29-7-2005 by crewcabconnection ]

Loves a lolcat
MemberSteveMk2

posted on July 30th, 2005 at 07:57 PM

So we are agreed. The 8V wasnt too far behind, though... I have driven both. Maybe I drove a Friday 16V and a Wednesday 8V... :cool: The 205 was an incredible car, but too small. And too French. RCS carries on the tradition.

Super Administratorvanderaj
A.k.a.: Andrew van der Stock
Super Administrator
a suffusion of yellow

Rank Avatar

Threads: 436

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: In the family again

posted on August 17th, 2005 at 11:55 PM

I had a Golf Mk III. Great car, except the right rear window regulator gave in. My New Beetle had both regulators replaced. This is in fact, a very common fault with all the VWs. Cheap parts.

The NB and Golf IV have a seven year warranty replacement on window regulators (and more particularly the surrounding plastic clip which holds the motor in place). If your car has this bad by design clip, VW will replace it at no charge. If your regulator fails and it has this plastic clip, make sure that VW fix this under the program, not from you paying for it. It's their fault for implementing such a crappy design, not yours.

Andrew
MemberBug_racer

No Avatar

Threads: 16

posted on September 1st, 2005 at 09:45 PM
warranty

7 year warranty program ? This is a US thing . You probably got yours changed under goodwill . They never question window regulators under goodwill . Also VW Germany denies that the regs are a problem . It was VW USA that created the superceded part .

Go To Top