Memberkickatinalong
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 6

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: rambunctous

posted on August 2nd, 2005 at 12:05 AM
Clutch Pedal Play Problem

I have a 1970 Beetle with a 1300 motor and manual gearbox. It's been my daily driver for the past 18months with no real hasssles. However over the past few days when accelerating between 1st to 2nd the clutch slips slightly, engine revs go up but goes back to normal after I ease off. This is only intermitant.

Tonight, I pushed down on the clutch prior to starting the car and the clutch pedal went down to the floor without much resistance.

When depressing the clutch pedal it now engages a few CM's from the bottom instead of the a few cm's from the top. I can still change gears and it seems to drive as normal.

Any one had a similar problem? What do you suggest caused it and what is a possible fix?
MemberAnthiron
A.k.a.: Nicko McKay
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
The Baja Rejuvenation Begins

Threads: 310

Mood: Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for sega.

posted on August 2nd, 2005 at 12:08 AM

has your cable come loose? and the adjustment has eased right off?

62/60 model bug eye baja bug, (Full Build in Progress)
1974 Chevrolet Luv
1970 MK2 Ford Cortina GT
1979 Yamaha RX125 Two Stroke tracker project.
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster XL Custom
Memberpod
A.k.a.: paul mrvw061
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
i`ve got to finish this thing one day

Threads: 145

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: could be better

posted on August 2nd, 2005 at 12:17 AM

my cable used to come loose as the spring on the clutch arm on the side of the box was broken , so the adjusting nut would unwind:( didnt work it out for a while just kept tightening it back up till i got jack of it:blush:

meetings 1st sunday of the month
check wbsite for location
All Welcome
http://www.flatfour.org/ 
and on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/FlatFour 
Memberkickatinalong
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on August 2nd, 2005 at 12:19 AM

I will get under the car in the morning and check out the cable adjustment at the gearbox. I Checked it on the weekend and it all seemed OK.
Member76camper
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: happy :-)

posted on August 2nd, 2005 at 07:23 AM

Too much play in the clutch pedal is the result of the cable stretching or the adjustment nut backing off, crawl under there and do it up 2 turns then go and check it.

Your clutch slipping isnt the result of your cable being loose tho. It is more likely you need to replace your clutch or pressure plate.

Memberkickatinalong
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on August 2nd, 2005 at 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pod
my cable used to come loose as the spring on the clutch arm on the side of the box was broken , so the adjusting nut would unwind:( didnt work it out for a while just kept tightening it back up till i got jack of it:blush:

Went under the dub and the adjuster had not moved and checked the spring and on the clutch pedal and it appears that it has sprung itself or broken. Looks like I will need to pull apart the pedal assembly and check out the spring and replace it.

Will I need to pull the entire assembly out or is there another way of replacing it?

Also if my clutch is on it's way out will it last me a while, get progresively worse or will it just suddenly die?
Member71superbug
Custom Title Time!
The Itch Itcher

No Avatar

Threads: 72

Mood: Subified

posted on August 2nd, 2005 at 08:28 AM

im guessing vw's are the same as other cars when it comes to this..so it will progressively get worse..and will suddenly die on you. last week in a mates GTI proton satria his clutch was slipping when we left a mates party..3 or 4km away when we pulled into our destination (24hour servo, cos it was 2am and we were hungry) he lost all gear selections and we had to park it up..get it changed before you end up witht hat problem.

Anthony:ninja:
Memberkickatinalong
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on August 2nd, 2005 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 71superbug
im guessing vw's are the same as other cars when it comes to this..so it will progressively get worse..and will suddenly die on you. last week in a mates GTI proton satria his clutch was slipping when we left a mates party..3 or 4km away when we pulled into our destination (24hour servo, cos it was 2am and we were hungry) he lost all gear selections and we had to park it up..get it changed before you end up witht hat problem.

Anthony:ninja:

I got in to the old bug and the clutch pedal went straight to the floor and stayed there. I guess the clutch cable snaped or similar. . I will have to get it towed and repair it over the next few days. Here's hoping it's just a cable!!!

Thanks for all your help.nn[ Edited on 2-8-2005 by kickatinalong ]

Go To Top