MemberKOM123
Custom Title Time!
Smiling Assassin

Threads: 121

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Always cheery!

shocked.gif posted on September 6th, 2002 at 11:09 PM
Kombi Air-Con?

Has anyone ever put air-conditioning in their Kombi? If so how successful was it and what was the cost involved?

May not be viable but just thinking about the upcoming summer and the two little girls we have (3yrs and 9mths).

Cheers...KOM123
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

shocked.gif posted on September 8th, 2002 at 06:35 AM

I have been thinking of putting Air Con in My 68 autoBug whenever its finished:D
Nothing is Impossible!! just a lot Harder!
I have been thinking recently of looking for the Air Con [used] from a Festiva with the 1300 engine, as it wouldn't tax the engine too much,compared to larger units from larger engined vehicles. Although, the Air Con compressor in My 2001 Lancer is about 1/2 the size of a VW generator
whereas a few years ago they were ALL very Large units.... the other problem is where the cool air & fan are going to go... with an under the dash after market unit, its much easier, as it just bolts under the dash..:D .... a few small problems... unless You are going to purchase a NEW unit.... My last three Non VW Cars have all had air conditioning... which I believe in Our summer, is a Necessity..... especially if You are very young- or - over 40 :D
Best of Luck...

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberBobbles
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

posted on September 8th, 2002 at 08:51 AM

I have just bought an 84 Transporter that has a/c. Maybe the compressor etc would fit earlier engines?

Also, once had a SWB Landcruiser (?81) with a VERY POWERFUL a/c that sat under the dash on the passenger side, and froze the passengers knees off but kept everyone else nice and cool. Maybe a wrecker is where to look?

Bob
Membersikdub
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 11

Mood: svweet

posted on September 8th, 2002 at 09:44 AM

i know of a kombi in a local wrecking yard that has an integrated roof mounted a/c unit. Its probably been trashed by dickheads now, but im pretty sure it's still there. Its on a camper.

Steve
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on September 8th, 2002 at 06:16 PM

A company called ICE do ac for bugs. Cant find the address at the moment.
I reckon an easier way would be to put the evaporator behind the back seat in the parcel area and somehow suck from under the back seat.
Any small jap/korean cars compressor would work good. The ICE unit i have heard is a bit agricultural
Shouldnt bee to hard for a kombi
Guess it depends how integrated you want it. Would be real easy if you just boxed up a blower above the engine and had the condenser at the front

Futue te ipsum!!!
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on September 8th, 2002 at 06:41 PM

http://www.iceac.com/ 

Futue te ipsum!!!
Membergeodon
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 63

Mood: stumbling

posted on September 8th, 2002 at 07:44 PM
Beetle air con

Blue's post jogged my grey matter. I once had a '70 cabrio reputedly ex consular corps that had the LH corner of the fanhousing bastardised with a plate with 3 mounting bolts that may have been for an AC compressor. There was also a wierd lid to go over the luggage compartment behind the rear seat so that's probably where the evap unit went. I'd hate to think how gutless it was when it was switched on!
Re the Kombi- you will probably over-capitalise to convert your existing one. I'd be looking for one with factory air. I sold one a year back 2L auto good nick & could only get $4k for it. Then sell yours or trade it in.
MemberKOM123
Custom Title Time!
Smiling Assassin

Threads: 121

Mood: Always cheery!

posted on September 8th, 2002 at 09:48 PM

Only problem with the last post is wouldn't want to sell our camper :( It's in excellent nick and think I'd be hard up to find another as good without spending many many $$$$.
Memberhumpty
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 139

Mood: Totally boosted!

posted on September 9th, 2002 at 05:47 PM
Air-Con in your Bay....

Yes is can be done....The factory did it them selves....As an option of course so they are thin on the ground......I know a guy here in Perth that has one....In an Auto 2ltr Bay!!! The best alternative, if you have the bucks and want a factory finish is to get a kit from the States...CB Performance, I think sell'em....They still make air-con kits for bugs in South America and Mexico...I think the bus was available too!

Good luck

FUCH your early!

http://www.noh2o.org/ 
Member70AutoStik
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 18

posted on September 12th, 2002 at 12:53 AM

You can put a/c on anything, all you need is: a complete a/c from a jap car, a refrigeration mechanic (to plumb it and calculate how much gas it will now need,) and enough nous to mount the compressor and fit the unit into your fresh-air system. The reason I recommend a jap system is price and low power usage - the ideal would probably be from a late eighties toyota, say camry.

Go To Top