Memberfoxy_fuchsia
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 110

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on November 16th, 2005 at 03:36 PM
Roadworthy without bumpers in QLD

Hey all,

Am I able to roadworthy my beetle with the sports T-bars that go in place of the bumpers? I am in Qld as well so I think it is different from other states.

Thanx :)

Jo
Memberfoxy_fuchsia
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

posted on November 16th, 2005 at 06:43 PM

Just so you know what i mean here is a pic of the tbars, would they pass roadworthy? This isn't my car but the only pic I could find...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/foxy_fuchsia/tbarsavd.jpg

Also, I need to be able to drive it to have it roadworthied next week but as it won't be registered what can I do?

[ Edited on 16-11-2005 by foxy_fuchsia ]
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on November 16th, 2005 at 06:48 PM

I know they are not "legal" in NSW

I would doubt they would pass in Qld.

I would put bumpers on for the test

Futue te ipsum!!!
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on November 16th, 2005 at 06:50 PM

if qld goes by the adrs on this one not some rule they have invented. im going to say no under the no dangerous protrusions which means nothing that anyone could catch themselves on.

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
Memberkillakornkobb
A.k.a.: Damien
Custom Title Time!
where's that clutch?

Threads: 149

Mood: Pierced

posted on November 16th, 2005 at 07:10 PM

who'd u get urs from foxy? im after a set:D

Tagedeezee Heezy
Memberh
A.k.a.: Towely BuMpEr KING! ILLegal ALIEN on a roadtrip
Scirocco Rare
fractals - an ever changing lifestyle

Threads: 375

Theme: XMBX Pro Green
Mood: A T3 is not a Kombi - stop waving at me

posted on November 16th, 2005 at 07:11 PM

no im sorry but i think they would be classed as dangerous and only if they were a factorty item/fitment then you would probably get away with it..
just put your old ones(bumpers) on for the roady then get home and swap over..
chances are you'll get away with it then.. :starhit:

fractal geometry; the inner most limits of mind altering abuse

Fantasy http://seventhchronicle.com 

Z = Z2 + C1/r = 1/0 = infinity

Barrels http://www.barrelman.com.au 

VW Workshop - aircooledgarage.com.au
allcooled.com.au
MemberByronBug
Custom Title Time!
High Priestess of Unequaled Coolness & Flower Child

Threads: 150

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Bent

posted on November 16th, 2005 at 07:32 PM

years ago I registered my bug in Qld with no bumpers..
I bought it that way & drove around for years with no front or back ones on.
Than I moved to NSW then for NSW rego I had to put back ones on cos they said the (non standard) bigger exhaust pipes are classed dangerous pertusions.
Best put both on to register (even if you put rusty ones on just for rego purposes then change later)
Judy :)

59 Microbus Kombi (MERCY)
64 Microbus Kombi (CHANNON)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/ByronBug/judysigniture.jpg
MemberStanley
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
I guess the reward is in the doing of it

Threads: 270

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Grey
Mood: caught a bolt of lightning cursed the day I let it go

posted on November 16th, 2005 at 07:39 PM

I don't have bumpers on mine...I just take the risk
MemberDasdubber
A.k.a.: Alan Agyik
23 Windows of Awesome
DAS Resto Haus

Threads: 289

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: feeling fine...

posted on November 16th, 2005 at 09:50 PM

Not sure about the bumpers, but re. the driving it for the day to get it registered - you can drive it to the dept of transport (have to be driven to there only and no where else) without a day permit. You can't drive it anywhere else though - just give Qld transport a ring (or check the website).

On the day I got mine registered, I had to drive to the engineer for testing etc therefore had to get the day permit which sucked because one day of insurance was like $60 roughly...plus the cost of the permit. so hopefully you can avoid that.

Memberbugeyedbabe
Wolfsburg Elder
Wheres her VW heart on her sleeve

Threads: 64

Mood: In love with a SMURF

posted on November 16th, 2005 at 11:23 PM

Oops soz das but I checked this out, cause im about to do same thing Friday...and called rta to double check. Officer, and the website suggest 3 options:

Scheme A:
If u KNOW u can get car passed the rwc the same day as u get it regoed, u can actually organise the compulsory third party insurance, complete an application for registration... drive car to mech for the rwc (and to engineers for those certs too) and THEN onto RTA, without having to obtain the one day pass...BUT u have to be sure to do it all in one day. Officer on phone said there are more and more mobile mechanics who can do the rwc at ur home, so if u have doubts, u might want to grab one of them, get the rwc at home, then go straight down to rta.

Scheme B
If u have doubts, and are unsure about obtaining rwc....then u can get one day pass from rta. But like das said, u ALSO have to grab a one day insurance policy as well. The one day policy costs $60, then another $17 for ur one day pass from rta. This policy n pass means that u can drive newhere on the day. The officer said this good if ur unsure if u can get rwc without a bit more work being done. So if tyres need doing as well as lights or something unseen shows in the rwc, u can race around to get it fixed with pass n policy. U cant under Scheme A above. under that one, u can only go to get the RWC and then to RTA.

Scheme C.
Tow it. (What I'm doing) If u still have more work to be done (mine needs brakes and tune up as well as other little fiddly bits) then get it towed to point a (in my case vw mechanics) and get them to fix it first. Most can also do the RWC (Should be ready after he's done his bit) when their done. This means if mechanics take a few days to work on it, then so be it. If parts have to be ordered from Sydney, then u havent lost days under ur policy in scheme A, or lost use of the pass under scheme B.

Often towing is about $50-60 (so cheaper than the one day permit/pass) depending on where u send it. And again, depending of where/who doing it, mechanics usually have electricians/panel beaters in same vicinity that they send the cars too (with ur permission of course) to get extras done that they cant do (if necessary for rwc). Once u have the rwc, then u can go back to scheme A and get compulsory insurance and then pop off to rta.

Also, officer said a good idea is to think abotu the day and time to register with rta. The officer said, if it 4.30, dont buy the policy thinking u can get rta to register car on same day. It's unlikely. To allow normal amount of time for the trip, plus add another hour. And thats how much u should have for the day.....so, for instance, coming from oxley to mtgravatt is about 30minutes, add and extra hour...so I shouldnt leave going to rta and getting policy any later than about 3.00pm. Reason: Compulsory policy HAS to be purchased on same day as u register car.

As for bumpers:
If u have any object protruding from back or front of car, then the car must have bumpers. they consider any exhaust pipe coming out of car to be a protruding object, so car must have bumpers...front and back.

And yes, I have asked abotu it as well, due to the fact mine were pinched. And person doing RWC also stated that they would not issue me with a RWC without bumpers.

In regards to the Tbars, QLD consider them illegal as bumpers themselves, as they are in fact a protruding item.

However, I did find out if the tail/exhaust pipes were hideaways, and came from side, and holes for the bumpers were filled (welded) then there is an arguement to not have any bumpers.

And, Officer, as well as the person doing the RWC also had same claims regarding the side boards. That in order to pass rwc the side boards must be on, unless the tow points were cut back/under. And person doing the rwc said, if I were to cut them, i'd prolly end up risking the strength of those points when it came to jacking car for wheels etc on side of road (please...what do they think racq is for??..its the only reason i have them...well that and keys being locked in)

So hope info above helps...

RTA info can be found on the website...http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinfo.nsf/index/registration_question2#howdrive

sorry this post so long...

[ Edited on 16-11-2005 by bugeyedbabe ]

dubless. :fakesniff:
:ninja: And who the helled parked the Mitsubishi "Prancer" under my house??? :ninja:
MemberBiX
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 154

posted on November 17th, 2005 at 08:18 AM

OK whats been said above is correct re driving it. I just went and got my golf rego'd 2 weeks ago. Got a roadworthy and got it home via a trailer (friday arvo). then monday went to the bank, paid my third party insurance. Then you are fine to drive it to and from QLD Transport, as long as you have your roadworthy, thrid party cover note. I also had the formed filled out etc, that way if stopped it was pretty obvious what i was doing.

In terms os bumpers, not sure about for a road worthy, but i haven't run them for over 3 years, front and back and haven't had a problem. Though i run NO bumpers (jsut a small bracket on the front for the plate).

I have no sympathy for my car, only the wallet that pays for it!
Go hard or go home!!!!
Member$2.63 homebrand baja

Threads: 0

Mood: vigorously apathetic

posted on November 17th, 2005 at 11:15 AM

fingers crossed ladies of the bumper woes, hope to see you both at the goldcoast show in ur wuvwie new wides.. :yes:

(just chuck crappie ones on, get ur paperwork and switch back after its got the sticker, should have seen festy at his roadworthy, he looked retarded ;) )
Memberfoxy_fuchsia
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

posted on November 17th, 2005 at 04:11 PM

Thanx for all the great info guys! I think on Monday I will just chuck the old bumpers on to get the roadworthy and when I get home I will just switch them. It's a pain but I don't wanna risk not getting it.

Thanks again, and I will see you all and my sparkly new ride on the 27th :D

Go To Top