Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1815 | Total Replies: 4 | Thread Id: 47547 ]
Author: Subject:  Speaker placement in a singlecab?
MemberMad Manx
A.k.a.: Travin C.
Wolfsburg Wizard
KombiKroozin

Threads: 54

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: sore feet, but lovin the scenery

posted on January 4th, 2006 at 09:06 AM
Speaker placement in a singlecab?

Hi guys, I'm interested in where those with Bay Singlecabs are fitting their speakers. I'm not a big fan of placing them in the doors and was looking at the enclosure under the seats. Any pic's of installs would be appreciated.... PS I have 2x Kenwood 7x10'' 3 way speakers, Clarion amp, 7'' Lcd and speparate dvd player and a creative zen 20gb to fit and a totally stripped interior to squeese it into so nothing is too much :thumb

http://users.tpg.com.au/travin/kombi/Komanxcab.jpg

- '71 Kombi (Died 24/11/05:sniffle: ) - '65 manx (smick) -'63 beetle (bent) -'73 Singlecab (new to the stable)
Memberjaksc
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 49

posted on January 10th, 2006 at 04:31 AM

Having the same trouble with a split bus. Don,t like cutting up the door trims. What's the options. HELP.

Ps Being hidden would also be a bonus but still after sound quality
MemberMad Manx
A.k.a.: Travin C.
Wolfsburg Wizard
KombiKroozin

Threads: 54

Mood: sore feet, but lovin the scenery

posted on January 11th, 2006 at 12:48 PM

Yeah same here jaksc, I'm thinking of new kick panels under the dash extended forwards a tad so I can mount my (very large) 7x10's centre side of each headlight bucket, will have to box in where the vents are to keep them functional, then the amp will be mounted in the big area between the seats which will be boxed in with an access hatch and small thermo fan, LCD in dash of course and DVD and my Creative in the glove box.

Only visable sign then of a system is the closed LCD which just looks like a digital clock when its closed and off.

http://users.tpg.com.au/travin/kombi/Komanxcab.jpg

- '71 Kombi (Died 24/11/05:sniffle: ) - '65 manx (smick) -'63 beetle (bent) -'73 Singlecab (new to the stable)
Membermodulus
A.k.a.: Peter Hill
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: modular

posted on January 13th, 2006 at 10:11 PM

To combine decent sound quality with subtlety, you could make new door cards with flush mounted 6 or 6.5" splits in the cards and upholster over them (i.e. the mid ranges and the tweeters) with perforated material.

There's quite a bit of room under the seats in a Bay S/C for an small amp and a small sub; you won't need huge gear to get enough volume in a S/C. Combined with a glovebox head unit, it's pure stealth.

jaksc, as I recall the available space in the doors of the splitties is less so you might be a bit more limited.

Certainly placing the speakers under the seats (other than the sub, as very low frequencies are not directional and as much perceived as heard) is not going to give you an acceptable sound quality for certain common meanings of the word acceptable.

hth

Peter Hill
1975 Type 2 Double Cab
modulus.com.au
Memberfirefly
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 9

Mood: Enlightened

posted on January 29th, 2006 at 12:00 AM

I agree with modulus. I have actually done an instal in a split before and we made a pod which sort of ran along the bottom of teh door card and triangulated the "bend" in the door. This was angled up slightly and the 6.5" midrange placed in here. we then added the tweeters to teh corners of the floors (about an inch from the front door edge and pointed these at the opposite seat belt mount (aftermarket belts.) this created great mid and fantastic stereo image but lackthe nice deep subbass. we then used a 0" nder te passenger set to give the bass. and pointyed it towards the cargo area (ie back of cabin) this was really nice sound and natural mooding. encourage the use of circular speakers not oval, and also mounting of the tweeters close to the floor. If worse comes to worst tweeters on teh floor and speakers under seat. the speakers do not need to be in the door but can be on teh door card. just build your pods strong and mount nicely on the doors.

If and when my wife finds a good beetle I will take pics of the install to illistrat better.

Cheers

Go To Top