Author: Subject: Back seats in a camper
Membermick
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

cool.gif posted on September 16th, 2002 at 10:14 AM
Back seats in a camper

I'm interested in buying a camper kombi. It has a back seat that folds down but has no seat belts, i was wondering if seat belts can be fitted to this and be legal to use.
Memberbaybuscamperkid
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
prince of insufficient light, ruler of heck

Threads: 335

Mood: transported

posted on September 16th, 2002 at 05:49 PM

if the camper is originally converted from anything other then a panelvan, then there are mounting holes and nuts already fitted to the car under plastic screws. you can fit seatbelts to these completely legaly, although the one on the wall side will have to be a lap and sash one for legal reasons.

Reimagined/Recycled/Upcycled Cool
MemberKOM123
Custom Title Time!
Smiling Assassin

Threads: 121

Mood: Always cheery!

posted on September 16th, 2002 at 09:02 PM

Is the seat like a 3/4 job? We have one of those in the back of our camper with seat belts all above board ('76 camper, website still to come sigh been saying that for ages but hopefully soonish).
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on September 17th, 2002 at 11:01 AM

Factory (Sopru) rear seats are only wide enough for two people. They are rather narrower than Microbus rear seats, thanks to the cupboards taking up some of the width.

Factory campers were converted from Type 23 'Kombis' - ie. window vans with seat mounting brackets and seat belt holes, as distinct from delivery vans, which did not. You should already have the mounting holes ready for use; they will probably have black plastic phillips head screws in the holes.

The right-hand rear seat position will be a lap belt only, using the mounting holes on the front of the engine cover. The left-hand seat position will be a lap-sash, using one engine cover mounting hole, and one on the left wall under the window for the sash.

My Kombi had the lap-sash belt, but was missing the lap only belt for the right rear seat. I went to a wreckers and was told that Kingswood seat belts were the same; for some Kombis that might be true but not mine. I eventually found a wrecked Austin Tasman that had the same type of (Australian made) buckles as my Kombi.

Go To Top