Custom Title Time!
Minister of Volkswagenism

Threads: 238

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Enlightened.

posted on October 28th, 2007 at 07:52 AM
Diesel Option on the Horizon

Yes - Just a matter of time.

I read on Friday in the Motoring section of the Herald that Subaru is bringing out 2 litre and 2.5 litre boxer diesels. There was no mention of turbo diesel in the paper but there is online.

Why you might ask why I post this here. Although I am a fan of Baja's and Beach Buggies I am also a big fan of diesel engines. Having grown up in a house where my Dad was an interstate truck driver that smell of diesel and sound of a clattering engine certainly beings back the memories.

I just wonder how much heavier they are going to be compared to the regular Boxer engines. Weight is of course always important. Time will tell I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G5TcWg0TMc 

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/images/article_images/Legacyfacelift_1_560px.jpg
Quote:
The boxer engine will be shown as a drivetrain at Geneva, but will eventually be fitted to the Legacy (above) and Outback all-wheel-drive models in early 2008. We’ll have to wait until then to see if the engine delivers the boxer engine’s trademark acoustic and handling benefits.

Subaru is being cagey about any more details at this stage, but claims the new engine has a very rigid block with low noise and vibration levels – so much so, that it doesn’t need a balancer shaft. Expect the 2.0-litre flat four to develop around 165bhp and 250lb ft of torque.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_official_picture.php?sid=457&page=1 

Quote:
More importantly, Subaru may wait until this model is launched before unveiling its 2.5-litre boxer turbo-diesel engine.

http://www1.autotrader.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/carshowroomstory?ReadForm&...

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/03/07/geneva-motor-show-subaru-diesel-boxer...

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/images/subaru-diesel-2.jpg

Quote:

"The superb rotational balance of the horizontally-opposed engine allows low vibration because the pistons counteract each other to cancel it out," said Subaru Europe's man in charge, Hiroyuki Ikeda.

Quote:
"Moreover, with its firmly supported crankshaft, the crankcase construction is strong enough to resist huge combustion pressure. The horizontally opposed engine’s character is proving an excellent match for a diesel engine. Also, the adoption of a thin journal for the crankshaft and turbocharger placed under the cylinder block enhances all the advantages of the boxer engine, which are low centre of gravity, low vibration, high rigidity and compactness," added Ikeda.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/subaru-diesel-engine.htm 

[size=4]Bronze.[/size]

Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, NSW.
Memberone4
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 25

Mood: Warm Summer Crusing

posted on October 28th, 2007 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Bronze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G5TcWg0TMc 

That is one very cool animation.

Richard
Membertdegens
A.k.a.: Tom Degens
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 187

Mood: g

posted on October 28th, 2007 at 03:41 PM

Wondering if anyone has Hiroyuki Ikeda's email address? I am chasing a conversion kit for these Subaru's diesel boxer engine from so I can put one in the splitty (with the turbo option), one in the fastback (turbo with a 5 speed true shift gearbox), one in the goldie and one in the 61bug.
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on October 28th, 2007 at 11:53 PM

You should have gone for a Golf diesel in the Baja....

I have seen a pic somewhere of a golf diesel in a beetle...

I read where Volvo is using Volkswagen diesels in its cars.

I hate the smell of diesel...
but the diesel car engines are so quiet now its hard to tell they are diesel...

Lee

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on October 29th, 2007 at 09:56 AM

mate, that will be the pick for buggies in 10 years.

wait till they make it in a 6!:punk:

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
MemberThe Bigfella
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 16

Mood: Lotsa German cars, 1 Brit, 1 Rice

posted on October 29th, 2007 at 11:03 AM

There's a mob in NZ making a diesel-powered surveillance helicopter - don't know what they use, but you would expect its light.

The new diesels do seem quite good. A mate of mine has a Mercedes dealership and he took me for a spin in an E270 diesel a couple of years back. It was actually quite quick - and he reckoned it would eat my 500SEC (hey - he's a car salesman - the V8 is quicker!) - although it got to 160 nicely. I stayed at his place and he ran me to the airport pre-dawn in winter - it was straight in the car, turn the key and away - no discernable rattle at all - and you would not know it was a diesel unless you were told or daw the badges.

I believe BMW and Mercedes have some real fire-breathing diesels in Europe - 400hp jobbies.
MemberThe_Bronze.
A.k.a.: Bronze
Custom Title Time!
Minister of Volkswagenism

Threads: 238

Mood: Enlightened.

posted on October 29th, 2007 at 01:36 PM

Hey I'm the first to admit there not for everyone but personally I like to have the option.

Yes modern day diesels are much much quieter and they can produce quite good horse power. The key is in the gearing and for this reason it may be quite hard to convert straight to them. A petrol engine will quite happily sit at 3000 revs all day long but for most diesels this is really the edge of their limit. This being said if you into beach buggies and baja having the bigger wheels and choosing a high ratio box like the 1500 and 1600 may be enough. I like the idea of having torque which would be great for offroading, like what Wes get from the V6 however the diesel may not have the top end legs often required for hitting the big dunes at speed.

I wouldn't worry about the conversion plate just yet tdegens because these are still on the drawing board. They must have a prototype somewhere cause they have quoted figures for kw and torque unless they have derived those from computer models somehow. Sure they can do that now.

I doubt we would see the diesels here in Australia before 2010 as they will be released in the European market first and then most probably here. Give it another 6 to 12 month before we can start seeing replacement and 2nd hand motors and even those would be at premium.

Yes Lee. I have considered the golf diesels but they are still low on torque and a heavy engine. Not a fan of the inline engines at all but I'm sure if you willing to sacrifice ground clearance and exit angle for the golf donk they would be clean, green and a nice alternative. I will admit as much as I do like the idea of diesel I don't like turning up to work and going to meetings with the smell of diesel on my hands. My Dad used to use surgical gloves before his time when filling his rig as he hated the smell when eating. He got paid out then but I see now that a lot of truckies now use gloves when filling up. I doubt I'd get away calling him a trend setter.

Quote:

There's a mob in NZ making a diesel-powered surveillance helicopter - don't know what they use, but you would expect its light.

Now that sounds interesting. You would want to hope that they have a good timing chain in them. I like to see that aviation is starting to consider alternative fuels as well. They must be having a hard time with the licensing.

Quote:

I believe BMW and Mercedes have some real fire-breathing diesels in Europe - 400hp jobbies.

I'd believe it. Since the proliferation of Turbo Chargers and now new Superchargers the diesel engine has really taken the roads by storm. They still have a stigma to shake but just look at Road Trains now. There used to be a time that it was a hassle to be stuck behind a truck approaching a hill. Now it's more like " I don't want to approach this hill with this truck behind me." The modern trucks can accelerate and maintain car like speeds on all road bar downhill runs. (Obviously braking needs more work.) I read the other day a Mack Superliner with "600hp" written on the side of the bonnet. That a phenomenal amount of power to have on tap and passed down still through 25 gears. I'd say he can afford to skip a couple now and then.

B.

[size=4]Bronze.[/size]

Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, NSW.
MemberElusiveStranger
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 30

posted on October 30th, 2007 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Bigfella

Jet engines will run on diesel, dunno if you knew that.
Would like to see a link if it's a piston engined heli.

I'd love a Scooby diesel in the back of my bus if it looked similar to the petrol powered motor. It just looks right at home sitting there.

Go To Top