Membervw power 4 me
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 4

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 19th, 2002 at 12:45 AM
Headliner

Hi guys,
I have just finished replacing the headliner in the soon to be my daughters first Bug. What a B...h of a job (for a first timer. I was quite proud of myself after having it all in place with a lot of cursing and swearing and a couple of temper tantrums. Well, more than a couple, actually. Well, as normal, I did not think things through and now I can't find the spots where the seatbelts, Coathooks and grab handles are supposed to go. Any suggestions....pllleeeaaassseee!!!!
Member70AutoStik
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 18

posted on September 19th, 2002 at 01:20 AM

Sorry, no suggestions. But how bad was it, do you recommend trying it myself, or visiting the local motor trimmer? Apart from the difficulties, how happy are you with the result? I saw an article in a recent mgazine and it scared me (well, a little.)
MemberBugdriver
Casual Dubber

Threads: 0

Mood: Indigo

posted on September 19th, 2002 at 08:01 AM

If the headliner is cloth you can locate the holes with a fine needle. On the other hand, if vinyl, I would be carefully measuring distances on someone elses gas buggy.
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on September 19th, 2002 at 04:48 PM

I installed my old beetle's headliner back in the mid '80s, using a West Coast Metric kit. I also remember what a bastard of a job it was. I got it in and it looked OK, but for years afterwards I always thought I could have done it better.

For example, the large roof piece was fitted at the rear window end first, and had to be pulled forward. Mine seemed about 2 inches too short and didn't reach the front. I solved that by heating the thing with an electric radiator, and carefully stretching it.

As for your mounting holes, shouldn't be that difficult. The grab handle screw holes are on a small metal bracket at the top of the B-pillars - you should be able to feel them if you carefully press in the vinyl with your fingers. Likewise the interior light hole, which is at the top of the passenger-side b-pillar. Use some mild heat to stretch the vinyl a little if you need to - when the grab handles are installed, the vinyl will be stretched anyway.

The location of the seat belt hole depends on your year model - '67 and before it's at shoulder height, about the level of the bottom of the side windows, while '68 and later are higher up, about halfway up the window. Again, if you press the vinyl in with your fingers, you should be able to feel the hole. Measure twice, cut once!
Membervw power 4 me
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 4

posted on September 19th, 2002 at 07:44 PM
Headliner

Thanks Guys. Appreciate your suggestions. Just got another bug 62 model and I don't think that I will be doing the headliner muself again. As you said it looks ok but it could be better, so it is going to annoy me for a while.

Go To Top