[ Total Views: 1040 | Total Replies: 16 | Thread Id: 75020 ]
Author: Subject:  Type 3 Manual ?
Memberdannyphoenix
Casual Dubber

Threads: 7

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on February 28th, 2009 at 08:13 PM
Type 3 Manual ?

I am today the proud owner of a 1972 fastback ! After decades of fascination with the little beast I AM NOW A DUBBER ! So now, does anyone know where I can get a manual ( in PDF ? ), ( Free ? ) . . . 'cause I wanna know it inside out. Do I sound excited.

The car was an absolute bargain. It goes well. Interior is Oh so clean. It only needs minor motor work ( new fuel hoses n stuff) and cosmetics ( dented passenger door ).
Memberdannyphoenix
Casual Dubber

posted on February 28th, 2009 at 08:22 PM

... because I've got plans for the bugger !

Oh ! . . . and by the way I'm a new member . . . L.G. !
MemberType3Sicko
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 70

Mood: yes thanks

posted on March 1st, 2009 at 06:32 AM

Welcome to the forum, do you have space to work on the fasty? why not start by giving it a good clean, climb underneath (once you have it safely supported and chocked NEVER PUT YOURSELF UNDER A CAR WITHOUT IT BEING PROPERLY SUPPORTED BY STURDY AXLE STANDS...PLEASE DON'T SUPPORT IT WITH A DODGY OLD JACK EITHER)look at the underside, is the pan nice and clean, the wheel arches and engine bay and front end? have a good hard look for any rust in the shock towers and anywhere else for that matter. Maybe get yourself some degreaser and a brush, spray the degreaser on and work it around with a soft or stiff brush (depends how dirty/ stubborn the grime is. Wash it off with a quick blast of water Get to know this area well, hopefully if you upkeep the maintenance, you will be spending more time driving than underneath. When degreasing the top of the engine GO GENTLY AND KEEP WATER AWAY FROM YOUR DISTRIBUTOR, GENERATOR AND DELICATE LEADS TO YOUR COIL Cover them with cling wrap or a plastic bag...when engine is cold :). Taking engine out is Best for this, but you can do that later when you feel more familiar and confident. Do you have a basic tool kit?. If you are tight for money...get used to this part :) jump on the VW forum/s and surf the posts already displayed for your model, there should be quite a few by now.Type 3's are a good intro to VW's...if you don't know something, just ask, most people on here have been there and done that. if you have a few bucks spare, grab a copy of "the compleat idiots guide to keeping your Volkswagen alive" tongue in cheek...it's not bad for a novice. good luck Dannyphoenix and don't sweat it, you'll make a few mistakes, but you should have fun while you do it. Cheers, Adam

How many is enough?
MemberType3Sicko
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on March 1st, 2009 at 06:46 AM

oh yeh...get 5 posts to your name and put some pics up mate...lets see this fasty before you get your eager hands on it...:0

How many is enough?
Memberdannyphoenix
Casual Dubber

posted on March 1st, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Thanks Adam for the advice. I agree, some good stands are critcial. I'm no good to my new baby, if it falls on me, ay ? I can't believe the mass of tips and advice on this site ! Seen that manual you mentioned too, and another similar one, but they seem more beetle specific ! A Pdf manual for a T3, would be really handy for enlarging n printing out one focus job at a time. I'm sure someone must have one . . . you can find everything on the net. Maybe this could be a good members' project , hmm ?

Worked as a casual, at a volksy place when I was a young kid . . . that experience pulling out engines, n cleaning parts is going to come in real handy. I'm sure it'll come back to me. . .
pull out 1) tin wear (there is none ?)
2) wiring (looks bodged, but it works - gonna need a wiring diagram)
3) jacks
4) four bolts (?)
5) grab the exhaust pipes & pull . . . or was that to pull out a vertical engine ). Oh no !

How do I get my pics here (tried cut'n'paste)? I so want to show the bugger off !

Light sanded the surface rust off ! Me thinks the bugger is begging for a dark 'gum metal grey, mmm ! Got the passenger door lining off, now to tap'n'dolly the dent out !

Noticed a few quirks in the process . . . each front quarter window opens differently ( right side uses a slide lever, the left a rotating lock - and it's stuck ). . .

This is so NOT going to be a breeze ! Gunna need a manual, and a good few months worth of weekends.Some serious elbow grease . . .
MemberGibbo
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 324

Mood: I Want to Learn Welding!

posted on March 2nd, 2009 at 07:24 AM

I can recommend "How to keep your Volkswagen alive" by John Muir, and also the Bentley brand manuals.
They should keep you on the right track, and are worth every penny.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/7488/userbar334840xm.gif
MemberPeter_D_C
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 20

posted on March 2nd, 2009 at 01:22 PM

Basic owners Manual here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/72type3.php 

Plus tech specifics here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/ 

Its all ive ever needed unless its major work, which i paid to get done anyway cause i live in a unit! :lol:

1969 Type 3 Squareback
Memberdannyphoenix
Casual Dubber

thumbup.gif posted on March 2nd, 2009 at 09:50 PM

Thanks Peter_D_C; These are a good help.

There's a nice collection of tech manuals in there. Now I'm on the right track. Wow ! Some are really origininal old mechanics manuals, aren't they ?

Anyone, know of any more, with really detailed diagrams ? I knew they were out there !

I still haven't figured out how to get my pics in

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Memberdonn
Wolfsburg Elder

Threads: 428

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: LAID BACK AND CONFUSED

posted on March 3rd, 2009 at 05:13 AM

Two nice pics (even if it is repeat) for someone who hasn't figured out how to do it:starhit:

I dream of a day when a chicken can cross a road without being asked for it's motive!
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on March 3rd, 2009 at 06:03 AM

where are you located

I have several Type 3 Manuals

MemberType3Sicko
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on March 3rd, 2009 at 06:04 AM

looks pretty straight and solid Mate, is dual carby or Fuel injected? where abouts are you Danny? maybe try http://www.T3detectives.com  or is it http://www.T3D.co.uk  sorry, can't remember exactly...i could scan my wiring diagrams from my manual/s and email em to you if that's any help? let me know

How many is enough?
Memberizac
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 39

Theme: UltimaBB Powder

posted on March 3rd, 2009 at 03:43 PM

typethreedetectives.com :tu:
Memberdannyphoenix
Casual Dubber

posted on March 3rd, 2009 at 09:51 PM

Thanks for the encouragement and pointers folks;You blokes sure know how to make someone welcome . . . it's sorta like having a bunch o' mates hacking at it in the garage with you !

I believe it's a 1600 twin carb. As mentioned she starts straight away, even cold, but the motor's gunna need a serious clean and tidy. I'll leave that till I get the body 'you beaut'. Have been looking at various pics around . . . What do you guys reckon about painting it dark gum metal grey ? Peers reckon keep it white . . . mmm. Would like some feed back, the choices are endless.

Thanks for your offer on the wiring diagram , WolfsburgWizard, that would be greatly appreciated, 'cause I think I can see a lot of 'home efforts, backyard wiring', so's I'd like to make sure everythings right. Haven't tested everything yet, I'm still too excited.

To VWS4, I am in Geelong VIC, thanks for the offer.

Next nice day we get. I'll take some more pics to post. Wait till you folk see the upholstery !

For now, gotta focus on one task at a time ( the dent ). . . otherwise everything gets started, but nothing gets finished !

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
MemberType3Sicko
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on March 4th, 2009 at 05:27 PM

Gday mate, hardly a wizard though i have been to Wolfsburg, you can call me Adam (how do i change myusername? I don't have a kombi anymore...nor do i detail either) PM me your email address and i'll get it to you by the weekend, grab a mate and a sturdy trolley jack, pull that engine out and give it a good clean, at least degrease the belly so you can see where your leaks , if any are coming from, taking donk out is no biggie, just take your time and label/ bag/ remember where evrything came from, take your time...lose the garden hose from oil bath to crankcase breather and grab some appropriate hose, a can or two of carby and throttle cleaner, do your engine good to have all the grime and gunk off. Cheers, Adam

How many is enough?
MemberType3Sicko
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on March 5th, 2009 at 04:36 PM

PM replied to Danny, wiring diagram on the way...maybe ask Dave how much one of his manuals are....Very handy when doin engine stuff by yourself, have a good one, Adam

How many is enough?
Memberdannyphoenix
Casual Dubber

posted on March 5th, 2009 at 08:26 PM

Thanks heaps Adam, I'm sure it'll turn up in email, soon . . . it'll help me alot in sorting through the spaghetti.

To Dave, i'm happy to unburden you of one of your T3 manuels. Tell me which ones you own, and how much you're asking for one. It'll be a pleasure to do some business.

Had a day off today, so I thought I'd give the fastback the once over ( . . . again ) with a moist cloth ( think the wife's getting jealous ), and also had a perfect opportunity to knock out a major part of the dent in the passenger door. Minor imperfections crop up. Most of the rubbers, for a start. I think the left vent window is going to be a prob . . . it's stuck ! As mentioned before both quarter window locks are different. Question, folks, are one piece windows, an option ? Has this been done ? Can someone point to where I can find where it has been done ? I reckon tis do-able !

Danny
Memberdannyphoenix
Casual Dubber

posted on March 13th, 2009 at 09:40 PM

Finally got a manual ( it's answered heaps of questions ), and the folks down here at Wolfsburg Automotive are great . . . thanks all for everyone's help . . . I'm working on the body at pres . . . and sniffing around to see who locally can do me up the motor. See what the options and costs are. For the moment it's down to elbow grease, till I get to the next stage.

I had a look at the basic specs on some cars in last years Portland drags, and some hill climbers . . . Wow ! some people can get some unbelievable performers out of the flat four.

Was looking at some of my old 'Aus'n VW Power' magazines . . . should see what some guy called Mick could do in his fastback ! Gave the heads what he called a monster port and got A dub with serious cojones.

Go To Top