Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 10

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: always

posted on March 16th, 2009 at 03:39 PM
t3 caravelle advice please

Hi to all! After years of assisting friends with their vw projects, I finally brought one myself- a 1985 1.9 litre caravelle. I have already learnt a lot from reading this site, but I was hoping someone may have some advice/assistance.
This van is a project so it needs work and like everything I do; it will be done by me on a tight budget.

First thing I found out when ringing up about parts (in perth) no one seems to know anything about these engines, There is a hose about 2” long running from the thermostat housing to the head. On the head side of the thermostat housing it has a plate bolted to the housing. The hose connects to this plate. On my engine a previous owner has put plasti-metal repair on this plate. None of the parts suppliers I spoke with were familiar with this.
Question: is this a part I can buy or do I have to weld it up? I the hose just a normal piece of hose or a special moulded fitting?

Also a gentleman from a vee-dub wrecker pointed out to me that the 1.9 was totally obsolete and completely in-compatible with the 2.1 engine. He didn’t think the starter alternator or anything was compatible. When I enquired about the availability of a set of barrels he may well of been rolling on the floor laughing from his answer.

Question: How much of this is true?

In the almost 2weeks, I so far like the van, the lack of power doesn’t bother me, though I was disappointed to read the 1.9 fuel consumption figures. On a good point the seller showed me receipts for the cooling system overhaul done three years ago (including a new radiator) so hopefully the insides wont be rusty toast.
Any advice much appreciated!

dak dak dak dak dak dak
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on March 16th, 2009 at 05:47 PM

Not all of it ,I do a few of these vehicles and most parts are available,sometimes I have to ring around a few suppliers. Try Tooley Imports in Hornsby NSW.0294762888. They have been around for a lot of years and carry a good stock. Cheers Les
Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on March 16th, 2009 at 05:57 PM

Yeah I since spoke to another parts shop, and the guy said they do a liner kit for $400 including pistons. If this is the case I might get a set. But he wasnt 100% sure so who knows. this shop also had the starter spindle bush for half the price, of the other one.
I read somewhere online that they were making these vans in Brasil at some time? Is there any truth in this?

dak dak dak dak dak dak
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on March 17th, 2009 at 08:49 PM

Lots of good info here as well

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/ 

I have an 87 2.1L
Havent had any trouble getting parts
Vintage is a good supply
Both Michael and Boris both have wasserboxers - so there is added incentive

Futue te ipsum!!!
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on March 17th, 2009 at 10:19 PM

The cheap piston and liner kits are Chinese manufactured. Who knows how long they last?

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on March 18th, 2009 at 12:42 AM

gracias, for the help.
I,m sure I will be doing a rebuild of some description, at the moment I,m chasing a starter solenoid.
I'll keep everything going while I take care of some bodywork.
I only brought this van for the body, mechs are the easy part really. (not cheap though!) guy wanted to charge me 195 for a starter solenoid today, same price as a exchange starter. I will head to the parts section for a look.

Engines blocks are just cast steel, nothing special, I wouldn't think there would be anything wrong with Chinese steel, but their machining tolerances have left me amazed at times. Any one have any opinions on cheap liner kits? poor quality would be picked up on pretty quick in the engine trade? micrometers don't lie.

dak dak dak dak dak dak
Membervwtyp2
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 160

Mood: over it

posted on March 18th, 2009 at 09:35 PM

the best way to sort out engine woes in a T3

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Most people seem normal, till you get to know them.
Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on March 19th, 2009 at 05:36 PM

I dont really have woes with the engine, Ive rebuilt enough diesel engines to be familiar with liners, very common. And if I can get a liner kit for 400$ I'll just leave the bottom end as is, after all it is a volkswagen.

Thanks for the number grumble I'm positive I'll be using them. Does anyone know frys somewhere on the northshore? what do they sell?
The brickyard has some interesting stuff, thanks again.

I read somewhere online that 2.1 heads will fit onto the 1.9 engine, has anyone done this?

I wonder can you change the cooling system to the 2.1 style or is the block completely different?

vwtyp2. nice conversion is it yours? If I wanted performance, yes it would be easier, but my budget is tight.
I have no qualms at all about transplanting anything that is an improvement. How much subi wiring had to go in? did you do the wiring yourself. the wiring turns me off bit, not my strong point. Sorry did I mention I get lazy!

In the eighties I knew a guy that was doing p76 conversions. does anyone bother with V6 conversions now?

A guy showed me a set of 2.1 heads today- cracked through the middle just like the air cooled heads. I thought Volkswagen should have sorted that problem with water cooling. Disappointing. I hope this is not too common.

dak dak dak dak dak dak
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator

Rank Avatar

posted on March 19th, 2009 at 07:47 PM

here is some pictures of a 2.1L system

Mine s actually a 1.9L block
So yes - it can all be changed over

I believe the 2.1L set up is better for bellding etc etc

Migh be better to contact Dave Bcker (menangler) and see if he has a spare 2.1L and jst swap it over

The only difference "i believe" is the 1.9L is a 66mm crank and the 2.1 is a 74mm

Error

Error

Futue te ipsum!!!
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator

Rank Avatar

posted on March 19th, 2009 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rustguard

. Does anyone know frys somewhere on the northshore?

You dont mean -
H & M Ferman @ Peakhurst (02) 9533 2722

they do VW stuff

Futue te ipsum!!!
MemberMenangler
A.k.a.: Dave Becker
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 309

posted on March 20th, 2009 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bizarre
here is some pictures of a 2.1L system

Mine s actually a 1.9L block
So yes - it can all be changed over

I believe the 2.1L set up is better for bellding etc etc

Migh be better to contact Dave Becker (menangler) and see if he has a spare 2.1L and jst swap it over

The only difference "i believe" is the 1.9L is a 66mm crank and the 2.1 is a 74mm

Baz, 1.9 is a 69mm crank and the 2.1 has a 76mm stroke crank.

I do have an engine at the moment, it's a 2.1 from an '89 auto, runs well. $1500.00. 0402 003965

FAHRVERGNUGEN;
Description of a pleasurable sensation,
Experienced when a car and it's driver are in mutual harmony, A unique driving experience, Pleasure, Satisfaction,
A feeling experienced by Volkswagen Drivers.

http://www.thecoolvw.com/vwlogodraai.gif
Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on March 20th, 2009 at 10:06 PM

una problemo, estoy en perth.
wont be shipping an engine. I wouldn't really want to change the fuel injection and apparently the 2.1 uses a different injection?
can the 1.9 injection be modded, it looks like it would go on anything.
so bizarre are they 2.i heads on yours? does the 2.1 have the same liner diameter, if yes I assume you can bolt the heads straight on. Are the injectors the same?
Also what is bellding, couldn't work it out sorry.

I had a guy from a vw parts place ring me back today about my starter, He said he had found one and it was $195.00 exchange, but because the solenoid was no good on mine he would have to charge me an extra $60.00. I casually pointed out to him that if my solenoid was working I wouldn't be exchanging it! I saw no point in saying anything more, just said I would get back to him.
funny way to do business he would have been better off just saying $255.00

some bad news yesterday- I was driving near my home and passed a house with a t3 wreck out the front and knocked on his door for a chat (turned into a long one all things mechanical) I told him about a guy who owned his own machine shop and charged me next to nothing and did first class work. he said not nick on katanning rd I said "yeah that's the guy" he said he went in their to get something machined a while back and his son was there told him he'd passed away. I couldn't believe it. He was a really nice guy, first time I went there I didn't even know him and he treated me like I was a friend from years back. a loss

still haven't been able to get a solenoid, anyone know anywhere stocks a decent range of bosch solenoids

dak dak dak dak dak dak
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator

Rank Avatar

posted on March 21st, 2009 at 06:43 AM

Quote:
Also what is bellding, couldn't work it out sorry.

Bleeding - getting the air out

I REALLY got to stop drinking red wine :fakesniff:

Futue te ipsum!!!
Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on March 22nd, 2009 at 08:29 PM

bleeding obvious just couldn't pick up on it. probably was drinking red wine as well.

dak dak dak dak dak dak
Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on March 26th, 2009 at 01:54 PM

[size=4]Picked up a new solenoid this week
None of the VW parts shop could help with a solenoid, I found a starter at a wreckers (non VW) for $195, but then I would have spent alot of money and had a solenoid that was old and may only last a month.
I knew volvos had much the same solenoid and I found a starter in my parts which may have been off a toyota comercial that had the same bosch solenoid on. unfortunitly it was toast too! The two best parts shops I know of couldnt get anything from 'their supplier' one auto electrician rang 'their supplier' and said there was none in australia, and would take 3 months to get one from Germany. I couldnt find anyone prepared to match it up by specs. They could have been deaf when I informed them that "the only thing special about this solenoid was the part number!!!".

Early on I rang deerings autronics they said there 'their supplier has one over east, when he rang me back he said $150 with freight and GST. so come monday I rang him back and said yeah i'll have it, but I wanted to bring mine in first and see if he could match it. When I got their he looked at it an said "yeah nothing special looking about that" he called over another guy and explained the story and the other guy said they do a universal one for that, he went over and grabbed an Ingram catalog and there it was; said we have one in perth and can have it here this arvo for $59.00 stoked and vindicated
[/size]

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/rustguard/DSCF1106.jpg

[size=4]As you can see it came with a few different plunger arms. Now I spent a third of the money and have a reliable starter. Off to rarespares now for a windscreen rubber bead.[/size]

dak dak dak dak dak dak
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on March 26th, 2009 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
[size=4]Picked up a new solenoid this week
None of the VW parts shop could help with a solenoid, I found a starter at a wreckers (non VW) for $195, but then I would have spent alot of money and had a solenoid that was old and may only last a month.
I knew volvos had much the same solenoid and I found a starter in my parts which may have been off a toyota comercial that had the same bosch solenoid on. unfortunitly it was toast too! The two best parts shops I know of couldnt get anything from 'their supplier' one auto electrician rang 'their supplier' and said there was none in australia, and would take 3 months to get one from Germany. I couldnt find anyone prepared to match it up by specs. They could have been deaf when I informed them that "the only thing special about this solenoid was the part number!!!".

Early on I rang deerings autronics they said there 'their supplier has one over east, when he rang me back he said $150 with freight and GST. so come monday I rang him back and said yeah i'll have it, but I wanted to bring mine in first and see if he could match it. When I got their he looked at it an said "yeah nothing special looking about that" he called over another guy and explained the story and the other guy said they do a universal one for that, he went over and grabbed an Ingram catalog and there it was; said we have one in perth and can have it here this arvo for $59.00 stoked and vindicated
[/size]

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/rustguard/DSCF1106.jpg

[size=4]As you can see it came with a few different plunger arms. Now I spent a third of the money and have a reliable starter. Off to rarespares now for a windscreen rubber bead.[/size]

Great post, so typical of the automotive industry.
Persistance does pay.

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 3rd, 2009 at 11:18 AM

would'nt believe it but put my starter back in and no charge from the alternator, yes checked it at the alternator, so off to the auto electrician when i can, its certainly making me appreciate my saab!

dak dak dak dak dak dak
Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 3rd, 2009 at 06:13 PM

took my alternator into have it bench tested- worked fine. The guy said $15.00 to pull it apart and have alook. I thought this sounded very reasonable, I was tempted. Anyway I said no I like to do it myself and offered to pay him for testing it. He said "don't worry about it" anyhow pulled it apart it was pretty dirty and the armature had pretty deep grooves. I phoned the parts shop and he said $55 for a new regulator.
I love Bosch alternators with the reg on the back- sooo much cheaper. though the Australian style on only cost me $25 last time I brought one.

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/rustguard/DSCF1114.jpg

as you can see has quite a taper and deep grooves, new brushes will work fine here but not as well. anyway spun it between centres and took it down to a more parallel and flat state for the new brushes to run on.

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/rustguard/DSCF1117.jpg

left a sizable witness so you can see I took off the minimum.

now I'm going withe odds that it is the brushes or reg and not the slip ring,
might even through the old reg back in for a few days to see what happens. hmm here's hoping

dak dak dak dak dak dak
Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 11th, 2009 at 03:08 PM

chucked it all back together charging well will get the best price on a reg when I get a chance.

now I am on to an exhaust repair, have a 90 degree bend that is holed so need to put a new section in, also one muffler mount is cracked so weil it back up.
found a bit of tubing from a pipeline bed will be almost an exact fit for the section from flange to flange. best thing is it will be free!

dak dak dak dak dak dak

Go To Top