Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 4183 | Total Replies: 6 | Thread Id: 8072 ]
Author: Subject: Electrolux 3 way Fridge
Memberfulltank

No Avatar

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on July 2nd, 2003 at 06:02 PM
Electrolux 3 way Fridge

Was wondering if anyone had a manual for the old rm120 electrolux 3 way fridge or knew what type of wir i should use to connect the 12v part to the battery?

THANKS!
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on July 3rd, 2003 at 12:20 AM

Hi,

I've never seen a manual for these. But don't worry - the wiring is pretty simple.

They are heat absorption fridges - they have no motor or moving parts. All they have is a heating coil, which is in the galvanised box with the fibreglass insulation at the back.

The only 12-volt wiring your fridge has into it is a red power wire, and a black earth wire. There should be some already poking out from underneath; the wires come from the three-way switch box. Have a look and buy some of that from Jaycar or Dick Smith. Good medium to heavy duty automotive wire is sufficient.

Ideally you will have a second battery in your camper, with the fridge wired to that (NOT your main ignition battery). In mine, I run a main feed wire from my second battery to a fuse panel under the sink, then from there to each camping accessory. I can run them as long as I like and the car will still start! If you haven't, you can buy a deep-cycle battery and control box at 4WD and caravan shops. Auto electricians can also fit them for you. The fridge will flatten your battery in about 6 hours if you leave it on.

On my fridge, I also wired up a 6" computer-style fan at the back to blow air past the tubes. This greatly improves the cooling. From room temperature, mine is noticeably cooler in less than half and hour and nice and chilly in about 4 hours (on 240 volts). I also wired in an illimunated switch so I know when the fan is on.

You only use 12-volts and gas to keep the fridge cool - use 240v from your garage to make the fridge cool before you go on a trip - plug it in the night before. When you leave, switch to 12V while you drive. When you camp, use 240V at caravan parks, or gas otherwise.
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on July 3rd, 2003 at 07:22 AM

FILL thought u would be able to answer this question seeing you have just fitted your van out Looks great by the way

MemberPhil74Camper
Head in the Clouds

posted on July 3rd, 2003 at 06:05 PM

Thanks Dave - but I still need to find a gas fitter to fit the LPG plumbing. When the Kombi goes on display this weekend, the fridge will be in place but not working. We will have to find cold beers somewhere else.
MemberBobbles
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

posted on July 5th, 2003 at 01:12 PM
Electrolux fridge

Hi - here's a URL for the manuals, in pdf format:

http://www.dometic.com/files/um/caravan/ENRM6XX0_1.pdf 

(In the USA they're called Electrolux-Dometic)

Various models here but not much difference.

In whatever mode, they take about 20 mins to cool down. When I'm on a trip using 12 volt, it will freeze a hunk of meat that fills the freezer compartment! If you want ice cubes, make them in the fridge at home first, or at night when parked to camp, and make sure you don't leave the fridge turned off for long or... You can cut down an ordinary nylon ice cube tray to fit.

I have my 12 volt wired with a relay, so it will not draw current while the motor is not running. Then I also have an ordinary little 240v flush wall light switch mounted up high on the side of the cabinet, so I can turn off 12v to the fridge when just doing ordinary short trips. Used to have a proper automotive toggle switch, and it got hooked in my pants as I walked through from the front.

I use 240v if I can hook up in a caravan park or somewhere, but if not, at night use gas. If anyone has any tips about lighting the gas (there are a few in the manual) I'd appreciate them. It seems to me there ought to ba a better way, for an old fat guy, than removing all the food from the bottom of the fridge and peering through to the back at the pilot light while holding in the gizmo and pressing the lighter button. I get breathless swearing bent over like that.

Bob
MemberPhil74Camper
Head in the Clouds

posted on July 11th, 2003 at 02:23 PM

Bob, is yours a factory (Sopru) camper?

My Sopru has a RAM24 Electrolux fridge, which is mounted behind the passenger's seat, facing backwards.

To see the pilot light on mine, you don't open the fridge (and you certainly don't have to take food out). The flame compartment and flue are mounted at the left rear of the fridge as you look at it. The way it's mounted means that the flame is at the front left bottom of teh fridge cabinet , looking at it from the back seat.

The wooden cabinet has a small inspection flap, which you see at the bottom left as you open the Kombi's sliding door. You swing up the little flap, and the flue is right there. You could put your finger on it if you wanted.

Yours may be a different model of fridge - I can't see the flame from INSIDE the fridge at all as there's no inspection hole. You see mine from the outside.
MemberBobbles
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

posted on July 15th, 2003 at 07:50 AM

Phil, yes, mine's a Sopru - 84 Transporter converted from new. Fridge is in same position, but no little flap as you describe. I light the gas with the bags of salad on the floor! Incidentally, I found the Sopru factory a few years ago - still with the name on the front, and an ex-Sopru employee and his wife still in there making gym. mats etc. They gave me some of the spotted-pattern headlining material they had left in a cupboard. The moulds had been sold off in somewhat dodgy circumstances. I chased them up too, but some legal action was pending and the guy that had them wouldn't even talk about them, let alone consider going back into business!

Bob
MemberPhil74Camper
Head in the Clouds

posted on July 17th, 2003 at 12:46 PM

Wow Bob, thanks for the info. I knew that Sopru was an Adelaide-based company, and that they had conversion workshops in all capital cities in the 1970s. I didn't know that they were still around in the early 1980s. In Sydney all the T3 Transporter camper conversions were either Camperize or Trakka.

Interesting to see what happened to all the Sopru gear. Sounds a bit like all the local beach buggy manufacturers of the '70s - they either went bust or diversified into other fibreglass products. I guess all the Kombi camper companies did the same. Swagman for example were taken over by a US company and now make huge Winnebago-like camper trucks!

Sounds like your fridge is newer than mine. Taking your food out to check the pilot light - that's progress. I did look at the new Electrolux 3-way fridges - they're very nice but cost over $1200 new. At Caravan Accessories they have one mounted in a cabinet, so I can't tell how you are supposed to check the pilot light.
MemberKOM123
Custom Title Time!
Smiling Assassin

Threads: 121

Mood: Always cheery!

posted on July 17th, 2003 at 05:04 PM

I can't see any pilot light on ours. I just have to rely on listening carefully to hear the pffft sound of the gas igniting and then holding the buttons in some 30 seconds. Then if the top button doesn't come out all the way I know it's alight!

Go To Top