MemberTrentS
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 4

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on December 10th, 2009 at 05:55 PM
Hood latch problem

G'day VWer's,

I've recently purchased a 1972 S bug which I am now trying to, slowly, fix.

When I purchased it the previous old glove box hat rotted out so I've purchased an aftermarket fibreglass job which seems to fit pretty well. To fit the switch I had to remove the cable from the hood latch at the front. Unfortunately being fully aware that shutting the hood would be a fatal error wasn't enough to stop me doing it out of habit. As soon as I heard the click my heart skipped a beat. Bugger.

Anyway fortunately I hadn't put in the new glove box yet so with a broom stick, some cloth tape and a wire coat hanger I think I may be able to release the latch. Unless anyone has any better ideas?

Anyway what I don't have is an idea what the latch looks like underneath and what I'm feeling for. If someone could take a photo of theirs and upload it I, and my spare tyre would be eternally grateful.

Also the cable was loose, and there are no guides to feed it through, how, and where do I fix the cable so there's enough tension for the latch to be effective. Photo's would say a thousand words here too.

Cheers,

TS
MemberTrentS
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on December 10th, 2009 at 05:58 PM
Hood latch problem

G'day VWer's,

I've recently purchased a 1972 S bug which I am now trying to, slowly, fix.

When I purchased it the previous old glove box hat rotted out so I've purchased an aftermarket fibreglass job which seems to fit pretty well. To fit the switch I had to remove the cable from the hood latch at the front. Unfortunately being fully aware that shutting the hood would be a fatal error wasn't enough to stop me doing it out of habit. As soon as I heard the click my heart skipped a beat. Bugger.

Anyway fortunately I hadn't put in the new glove box yet so with a broom stick, some cloth tape and a wire coat hanger I think I may be able to release the latch. Unless anyone has any better ideas?

Anyway what I don't have is an idea what the latch looks like underneath and what I'm feeling for. If someone could take a photo of theirs and upload it I, and my spare tyre would be eternally grateful.

Also the cable was loose, and there are no guides to feed it through, how, and where do I fix the cable so there's enough tension for the latch to be effective. Photo's would say a thousand words here too.

Cheers,

TS
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on December 10th, 2009 at 06:23 PM

is the spare tyre in place?

usual method is cut the handle off

i had to get into a mates Sbug with snapped hood cable
it was freshly painted with a custom blend paint so i couldnt do anything drastic like that

ended up removing the crush plate underneath and coming up thro the inspection hole in the spare wheel well

was a blast with the weight of the spare ontop of it but i managed to release the latch from inside
MemberTrentS
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on December 14th, 2009 at 09:33 PM

I had actually removed the spare wheel so I'll give that a go once I can get hold of a ramo, cheers.
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on December 15th, 2009 at 06:12 AM

try the broom stick or a bit of steel rod or remove the inspection plate

other wise as per above cut the handle and unwind the screw to open the bonnet

get your self a after market new bonnet cable from super cheap or similar and mount down low on the metal bulkhead under the dash somewhere

dont bother trying to re mount in the glove box it will only give you more greif

also get some tie wire and ie around the latch mechanism and put out to the side through mudguard as a sendard cable just in case the other breaks

Go To Top