Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 749 | Total Replies: 8 | Thread Id: 81805 ]
Author: Subject:  What's running when the ignition is on?
Memberdjnee
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 59

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: going lower...

posted on February 5th, 2010 at 02:51 PM
What's running when the ignition is on?

I have my audio install set up so that it all comes on when i turn the key.
I tend to spend a fair bit of time without the engine running, but with the ignition "on" to power the system.
I remember years ago someone saying that this wasn't good over long periods as the coil is running and will get hot (or something!?)
If this is an issue, can i just remove one of the wires from the coil when i'm parked up and listening to the system?
Other than the fuel gauge and lights on the dash, is there anything else being powered up?
Thanks for your help :)

Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on February 5th, 2010 at 03:48 PM

I think it is more a problem with electronic ignitions
not sure about points

Futue te ipsum!!!
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on February 5th, 2010 at 04:26 PM

If your engine is stopped with the points open, and your ignition is on, a spark will keep arcing across the points (particularly if they are slightly open), which will burn them out. Remember they are designed to be open only momentarily. It can also burn out your condensor, and yes damage your coil, which is also designed for momentary current.

Modern cars have an accessory position to run accessories with the engine off, but not when the ignition is off. You will need to wire up an 'accessory' switch so you can switch on the stereo with the engine AND ignition off. Run your stereo off the hot side of the fusebox (ie independent of ignition switch) and put an extra switch in line, maybe beside the steering column. On my Beetle I used one of those small square push-in switches that lights up green when on - get them at Jaycar.

Otherwise, just run the radio hot all the time. You just have to manually turn the stereo off and on, independent of the ignition key.
Memberdjnee

posted on February 5th, 2010 at 05:03 PM

Thanks for the advice guys!

So with the points / coil thing....in the meantime, until i can get a chance to rewire stuff, will it make any difference pulling any of the wires off the coil or not?

Memberdjnee

posted on February 5th, 2010 at 05:05 PM

Actually, ignore that....my amps are wired direct from the battery anyway...so i will just swap the positive wire on the headunit to permanant live....doh!!

thanks again!

Membergreedy53
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 468

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: strung out

posted on February 6th, 2010 at 07:07 PM

ummm really

:yes::yes::lol::no::ninja::grind::dork:
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on February 6th, 2010 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by djnee
I have my audio install set up so that it all comes on when i turn the key.
I tend to spend a fair bit of time without the engine running, but with the ignition "on" to power the system.
I remember years ago someone saying that this wasn't good over long periods as the coil is running and will get hot (or something!?)
If this is an issue, can i just remove one of the wires from the coil when i'm parked up and listening to the system?
Other than the fuel gauge and lights on the dash, is there anything else being powered up?
Thanks for your help :)

[B]
I always hook up My stereo radio tape or CD players direct to the fusebox, so I can have the Radio or music playing when ever i like...
Many people these days think its quite odd to hear music coming from My beetle when its parked... lol
engine not on.. no one in the car etc... lol

cheers

LEE

tachometer- points-condensor- electric choke- conneceted to coil... plus the live ignition on wire.. Lee

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on February 6th, 2010 at 08:55 PM

the main thing you have to watch with modern headunits now is they stay in standby mode when they have ACC power.
there can be nothing powered up on the face but internally they're still using power

if you have a meter its worth checking the draw

the JVC deck in my bug is like that, even though it only has a little LED lit up in the source button it still draws enough to flatten the battery enough over a fortnight or so

luckily being a late model ive used the key in/door ajar chime to power mine so it only works with the key in but as phil said its easy to wire up an on off switch for the headunit power in an early bug
Memberbeetleboyjeff
A.k.a.: Jeff Walsh
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 40

Mood: Drive bugs hard

posted on February 6th, 2010 at 09:11 PM

Quote:

rnI always hook up My stereo radio tape or CD players direct to the fusebox, so I can have the Radio or music playing when ever i like... rnMany people these days think its quite odd to hear music coming from My beetle when its parked... lolrnengine not on.. no one in the car etc... lolrnrncheersrnrnLEE rnrntachometer- points-condensor- electric choke- conneceted to coil... plus the live ignition on wire.. Lee

I have done the same thing and get the same surprised comments - I tell them I left it on so the car doesn't get lonely. lol

From your ole' mate Jeff

Go To Top