[ Total Views: 747 | Total Replies: 4 | Thread Id: 83772 ]
Author: Subject:  1303 Super Bug "Brutal", Ver 3
MemberBiX
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 154

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on May 20th, 2010 at 04:15 PM
1303 Super Bug "Brutal", Ver 3

Well I thought as I am at the start of the next round of upgrades on Butal, I thought I might document the progress. I will updae pics soon.

History

Brutal Ver1
2000, bought brutal, as a stock 1600cc 1303 . It was my first car which I drove daily to and from uni etc. I upgraded the wheels to 15x5.5 inch mangels and 185/65r15 tires when the stockies went bald. I also added a set of Honda something seats. Added a monza exhaust for better sound, but no real improvement in performance.

Brutal Ver2 - Club car (daily driver during the week, track on the weekend)
2001- started to dable in motorsport, as a replacement for sailing. The stock and original 1600 finally died. Had a 1776cc, motor built by Leons. Inlcuded stock crank, stock rods, 90.5 B&P's, dual 40mm dells, and a bugpack semi merged exhaust. Cam was W100. Also did a bit of clean up with the engine tin wear etc. From other tunes and knowing how the car perfromed, reackon on about 100hp @ flywheel or maybe 75 hp@wheels.

Also at this time, had a lady run up the back of me at a set of lights. Used the insurance money and with the help of a mate, painted the car in 2 pac artic white.

2001 to 2007 - competed in numerous motorsport events, including hillclimb, autocross, motorkhana's, road navigation events, sprints... you mame it, if I could enter, I did.
Also did the following upgrades
momo steering wheel
Autotechnica reclinable race seat
Stripped the interior (well 90%)

in about 2002, upgraded the suspension,
King Coils, 35% stiffer, 30mm lower springs in standard struts, wtih Koni sport inserts, uerthane bushes. also put KYD silver rear shocks on. Put a 32mm (?) race whiteline rear bar on.Car had allot of grip, but went very very quickly into oversteer once you passed the limit, hence the name Brutal.

Also bought a set of 185/60R15 front semi slick and 205/60R15 rear semi slicks. Had COR make a set of 7 inch rear steel wheels and used 5.5 inch on teh front.

2004 - had a over rev on the engine, and bent a valve at QR. had the heads taken off, had a 3 angle valve job, and a better port and polish done.

2005 - put a Cobra Suzuka GT width drivers seat in, with 6 point harness. I was allot bigger back then, so needed the wider seat.

Also this year, the GB finally gave up the ghost and put in a refurbused GB, including stock ratios except third which is a 1.44:1 ratio. Also had a heavy duty side plate and super diff. Still standard clutch.

2006 - the 1776 finall gave up the ghost with a knock getting worse. Not sure what it is, this year (2010) plan on rebuilding the 1776, so will find out then. The car came off the road, so bought a Mk1 golf (Silver from snap crackle bang) with a 8v Mk 2 Gti motor in it, with some good suspension as a daily driver.

By this time the body was getting pretty banged up from gravel events, plus car park scrapes etc. so almost time for another respray and there is now rust in the body.

Brutal Ver3- deidicated track car (street registered)

2006 to 2007 - Saved a heap of money and got a 1999cc built by leons motors. Read about it in the dyno post on the racing section. But has 1999cc capcity (why not have the extra 85cc compared to the 1915!), 48idas, W130 cam with 1:1.25 plus allot of small stuff etc like coatings. 130 rwhp.

2008, moved battery to front of car, with cutout swtich.

2007 to 2010 -Drove the car on and off for about 3 years, only did 1 or 2 events, as the car is not really in a state for racing. Also met the girl, bought property etc..... for all those younger people out there, if you want the car, no girls or settling down, they cost to much money!

2010 onwards - the plan is to finish the upgrade/repairs. I have moved overseas for work, so allot of the next 2 to 3 years will see progressive upgrades coming through on the car while I am away.

The plan, consists of a few basic areas
brakes - stock brakes with over 130 hp @ wheels.... not good!
Gear Box - get a box to suit the power band and reduced top speed of track racing, plus a LSD of some sort
Suspension - revise, the current setup is a little to over steery, plus was a compromise for the road.
Cage - it needs one!
Body - repair the damage to the body, make sure there is no rust in it and make it good for another 35 years.
Engine - upgrade ignition, and get a better tune done. Tuner reackons 135 to 140 on a cold day, with some more dyno time and better spark (still 009 and coil/points ignition)

Pics to follow below for the history.

May 2010
Orderd Vforce Front Struts, new tail lights and caster fix bushings to get some of the caster back from the lowered front end.

I have no sympathy for my car, only the wallet that pays for it!
Go hard or go home!!!!
MemberWarrenm
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 98

Mood: Cruising & Happy

posted on May 20th, 2010 at 05:24 PM

Sounds a real work in progress-hope to see progressive pics

----

Membertrickysimon
A.k.a.: Simon Azzopardi
Custom Title Time!
100km/h is only 9 seconds away

Threads: 43

posted on May 20th, 2010 at 05:58 PM

Great story!
You don't need better brakes though, spend that money on more POWER :lol:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii19/trickysimon/Beetle/sig.jpg
MemberSTIDUB
Custom Title Time!
Over it.

Threads: 57

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Worn out, for no benefit.

posted on May 20th, 2010 at 09:59 PM

bix, when your back & hopefully squeeze a visit in to come out to my place, have a look at my brakes, you mite like the idea, the woman might even approve when compared to porsche gear :lol:

Volkswagen Drivers Club of Queensland - member :)

STIDUB - yep its still a work in progress

Vwdcq club car racing/ and crashing while my bug isn't finished.

The above are personal views, no more, no less
MemberBiX
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 154

posted on May 21st, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Hi Dave, I will let you know closer to the time. I would love to come out and have a look. Do you have VW cools big brake setup? At the moment I almost have the front sorted (except disks), so jsut rear to go and at about 25% of the cost so far. But yeah am open to other ideas, even going the custom route with brakes.

Maybe I can grab those guard and drop the sway bar off.

Cheers

Drew

I have no sympathy for my car, only the wallet that pays for it!
Go hard or go home!!!!

Go To Top