Memberwadd
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 41

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: sunny

posted on July 16th, 2003 at 10:01 AM
size

How do i tell the size of a engine .Is it marked on the engine .The chassi number is195389383... 64 to 65 i think :)
MemberKruizinKombi
A.k.a.: Col
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Seriously Obsessed Cyber Dubber

Threads: 104

Mood: Indifferent

posted on July 16th, 2003 at 03:57 PM

In a car that's nearly 40 years old, it's quite likely that you could have any size motor installed. It's quite probable that it does not have the stock or original motor installed.

I know this doesn't help, but I'm not about to start guessing what is in there, because the chances are that I'll be wrong. :)

Kruizin Kol
Memberwadd
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on July 16th, 2003 at 08:50 PM

Oh ok I just though that there might be a mark some where on the block to id the motor .Iam doing it up for my daughter and it leaking oil will need to replace some gaskets .might change the b,and p to increase the size would help to know what size it is now . thanks for your help
Shane
MemberKruizinKombi
A.k.a.: Col
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Seriously Obsessed Cyber Dubber

Threads: 104

Mood: Indifferent

posted on July 16th, 2003 at 09:04 PM

The problem is that someone else may have already had exactly the same idea. The only accurate way to know what size motor you've got is to pull it apart and measure it.

If you're going to replace the pistons and barrels anyway, then that probably isn't going to upset you too much. At least then you can pull it apart first, measure what size barrels the case is machined for and buy parts to suit. :thumb

Kruizin Kol
Membertype82e
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 108

posted on July 16th, 2003 at 09:15 PM

have a look at the engine number its under the generator stand give us this and we'll be able to tell you what kind of engine you have
also if you have an old registration paper it would have the engine number on it
marcel
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

thumbup.gif posted on July 16th, 2003 at 09:46 PM
Wadd - You have a New U2U -- Lee

[size=4]Wadd, You have a new U2U message.... Lee Wed 16th July 9.45pm.[/size]:o:thumb:thumb:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Memberwadd
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on July 17th, 2003 at 12:02 PM

ok engine number is 9125375 there is also Zundfolge 1-4-3 2 Lee your could not see any connection to my numbers
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on July 17th, 2003 at 01:49 PM

Unfortunately, there's no direct connection between your chassis number, and what size engine you have.

The '195' at the start of your chassis number tell us that you have a Type '1', which is a Beetle. The '9' is a special number - it means your VW is an Australian-manufactured Beetle. German made Beetles have a '1' as the second number here. The third digit is the year - '5' means 1965.

When your car was new, it was fitted with an 1192cc 40-bhp engine. The engine number had no letter prefix - it was just a number. It is stamped on the crankcase at the rear, just under the generator stand. Yours DOES sound to me like the original block, at least, or one every close to the original age. But of course anything at all could be inside.

The 'Zundfolge 1-4-3-2' is cast into every generator stand. It just means the firing order of the engine is 1-4-3-2.

Make sure you buy a good VW workshop manual, or borrow some from your local library. The more reading you do first before you lay a spanner on the car, the easier you'll find the job. Good luck!

Go To Top