Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 845 | Total Replies: 3 | Thread Id: 92031 ]
Author: Subject:  Front shock sleeve stuck on lower bolt?
MemberAnthiron
A.k.a.: Nicko McKay
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
The Baja Rejuvenation Begins

Threads: 310

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for sega.

posted on August 8th, 2011 at 01:09 PM
Front shock sleeve stuck on lower bolt?

So of course putting some new shocks on the front of the baja wasnt going to just got smoothly ha ha.

Drivers side top bolt sheared in the thread so thats a job for an easy out i guess. Its very solid in there so ill just keep dousing it in WD40 and drill a hole in the bolt to get the easy out into. Lower nut came off easily on this side.

Both passenger side mounts came off easy but the lower metal sleeve of the old Cofap shock is quite steadfast on the lower mount. I have applied heat via blow torch. copious WD40. gentle tapping with a mini sledge. Not so gentle tapping with the mini sledge. The rubber bushing is now starting to slide out over the sleeve.

Any ideas on how to get this off?

Nicko

62/60 model bug eye baja bug, (Full Build in Progress)
1974 Chevrolet Luv
1970 MK2 Ford Cortina GT
1979 Yamaha RX125 Two Stroke tracker project.
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster XL Custom
Memberian.mezz
Wolfsburg Elder
I never said, I could write or spell

Threads: 280

Mood: Happy

posted on August 8th, 2011 at 01:29 PM

Angle grinder just cut the side of the sleve.

:lol::crazy::lol::crazy::lol:
car forums. where a lot of peoples good intentions end up taking a good old car off the road forever never ever to see the road again. :fakesniff:
Memberbevoracing
A.k.a.: Tony Beven
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 36

Theme: UltimaBB Vintage
Mood: Leaning against the shed wall !.

posted on August 8th, 2011 at 06:10 PM

Mate, years of experience has taught me one thing, don’t get too excited too soon. The bush, get the shock rubber off then heat the bush red hot, then cool it down with water. Do this over and over and eventually it will turn with the multigrips. May take many cycles.
Then the broken top bolt. If you sheared it off with the spanner because the thread was seized then there’s no way in hell that the ezyout is going to move it. Most people just break off the ezyout. Carefully centre pop and drill it, in the centre. Then heat it red hot, and cool it with water, several times, then try the ezyout, while it’s cold. If it won’t come, heat and cool it again, be patient, repeat the process, it will come. Once you break the ezyout off you’re stuffed. That’s for another post. Best to use an Oxy of course. Good luck.
Tony

Country Buggy King & Link Pin Overhauls, Type 1 & 2 King Pins, General Machining.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=74138 
My car is KO813
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on August 8th, 2011 at 06:27 PM

Did you try a lump hammer on one side of the bush and beat the other side of the bush repeatedly,work your way around the bush.The lump hammer supports the pin and allows the hammer to break the rust inside the sleeve,eventually the rust will let go and the bush can be removed with a pair o vice grips,if this fails use Ian's method.

Go To Top