A.k.a.: Tony Beven
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 35

Theme: UltimaBB Vintage
Mood: Leaning against the shed wall !.

posted on January 16th, 2010 at 09:29 PM
Brake Line Bracket Question

Hi All
I’m working on my chassis and have a couple of questions. Need to get the details right before it goes for paint.
The front brake line brackets? I thing the one in the left picture is correct, comes off the bottom plate, then up at about 45deg, then straight up, as in the first picture. The other side seems to be “less” original. Nothing like the ones on the 61 beetle chassis I have. Is the one in the left picture correct?
Then the throttle pedal bracket is much lower than a beetle one. Probably because there’s no floor coverings or sound deadening. It looks original, is that correct?
Some of you with very original CBs will be able to set me straight on these things with a bit of luck.
Cheers & Thanks, Tony.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Country Buggy King & Link Pin Overhauls, Type 1 & 2 King Pins, General Machining.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=74138 
My car is KO813
Membercb john
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 6

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on January 16th, 2010 at 11:30 PM

On my chassis the brake line brackets are both like your right hand side picture shows...
Memberbevoracing

posted on January 23rd, 2010 at 07:55 PM

Thanks for the response John. I don’t know if you mean your “original” 2009 model or another original chassis you have.
Anyway, Bill tells me that the one on the left is correct, even if the spelling isn’t that flash.
That one is made of 35mm wide 3mm plate. It has a 25mm long horizontal section welded to the floor pan. Then it bends up 30 degrees for 70mm. Then it bends up another 60 degrees for 40mm. The centre of the 16mm hole is 16mm down from the top. The rear edge of both the left and right bracket is 75mm forward of the firewall support. So this isn’t a standard beetle position which would be why the parts list shows the front brake lines with a 12Y (Country Buggy only) part number.
That’s what I know, hope it helps someone out.
Cheers
Tony

By the way, can someone tell me how some people put pictures in their posts without making them an “attachment”.

Country Buggy King & Link Pin Overhauls, Type 1 & 2 King Pins, General Machining.
My car is KO813
Member57 oval
Seriously Crusin Dubber
Oval type 4 Fuel Injected

Threads: 48

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: Oval

posted on January 23rd, 2010 at 08:10 PM

Tony
save it in Photobucket and then post it. call into work one day and I will show you
Roger

1957 Oval type IV
1956 Oval poss project
1954 Oval impossible project
Ass 70's Beetles
http://www.users.on.net/~rogerbyrne/index.htm 
Membercb john
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on January 23rd, 2010 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bevoracing
Thanks for the response John. I don’t know if you mean your “original” 2009 model or another original chassis you have.
Anyway, Bill tells me that the one on the left is correct, even if the spelling isn’t that flash.
That one is made of 35mm wide 3mm plate. It has a 25mm long horizontal section welded to the floor pan. Then it bends up 30 degrees for 70mm. Then it bends up another 60 degrees for 40mm. The centre of the 16mm hole is 16mm down from the top. The rear edge of both the left and right bracket is 75mm forward of the firewall support. So this isn’t a standard beetle position which would be why the parts list shows the front brake lines with a 12Y (Country Buggy only) part number

This is a little unclear, because in the CB Parts List this bracket is as item No.46 and part No. is 114 611 834 ZA and exploded view shows the bracket as on the Beetle, bent only once to 90 deg.
By checking my original bkt. I've found cca 15 deg. rise of the horizontal level , but it looks to me unnatural...the position of the bend is different on the other side and radius as well...the last part of the bracket is bent in 90 degrees to the middle part, so the brake line mounting face is leaning cca 15 deg towards the centre of the car...
Memberbevoracing

posted on January 24th, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Now that’s weird John. Perhaps they’re not all exactly the same? Mine were found spot welded to the chassis, seems they were welded around the base later.
Perhaps the pictures in the parts lists are “indication only”? There seems to be several things that aren’t exactly correct. If a picture they already had was close enough they just used that, like the front brake drum, the throttle pedal bracket on the left hand side of the chassis, the beetle stub on the speedo cable drawing, fuel tank with the gauge hole etc. It does show the beetle type brake bracket in both the brake drawing and the chassis drawing however. I doubt this little bit of confusion will stop any restorations eh?
Perhaps if everyone with an original chassis goes and has a look at it and reports back we’ll see.
Cheers, Tony

My car is KO813
Membercb john
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on January 24th, 2010 at 11:30 PM

You're right, that little detail won't stop anyone...as long as the brake lines fit OK, there is no real concern about factory version or intention...I doubt very much that there are two identical buggies ...they were put together in pretty ordinary manner...with the illustrations in the Parts List, I came to the same conclusion...
Membershaihulud
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 197

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on January 29th, 2010 at 08:03 PM

The only brackets that I've ever seen on any Beetle are like the one labeled 61 Beetle.

Given that the CB has the axles lower than on a Beetle the first two are probably correct for a CB.

Spot welded and then extra welded. It's a matter of lining the pipe and the hose up in a direct line to give a good fit to minimise flexing of the hose. Also to have the hose bend upwards to keep it away from things that could damage it.

What matters with the pedal brackets is, will the roller on the accelerator fit the curve on the pedal? To answer that question you need to fit the accelerator, roller, base and pedal and see how things fit.
MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on March 10th, 2010 at 08:00 PM

Factory Original pan location.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Go To Top