Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1620 | Total Replies: 6 | Thread Id: 14852 ]
Author: Subject: New member - out of my depth?!
Membersugarlips
A.k.a.: Splitty Addict
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 35

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: chilled

posted on October 22nd, 2003 at 09:51 PM
New member - out of my depth?!

Hi all, i guess im the newest member and already have heaps of questions! I bought a 62 Beetle 3 months ago and its been running very smooth other than the battery is being drained somewhere? A new one was fitted recently yet it still dies every month or 2?

Im the 1st to admit to being a complete novice at this but very willing to learn! im well into the early bugs & Kombi's and am looking for people who know what its like to be new at this stuff!

I really need some help(in plain english!) so as to not to have to pay someone heaps to rebuild the generator or something!

Some of my many other questions include, does anyone know a cheap/reputable garage in North Sydney (im pretty new to Oz as well!) and on a less improtant note if its a '62 Beetle does that make it a 62 and a 1/2 and if so what does that mean!??

thanx guys
MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on October 22nd, 2003 at 10:19 PM

Welcome sugarlips, that name is sweeet:D

62 and 1/2 is when the Beetle came out with overriders on the bumpers, so if it was an early 62 beetle it had single blade style bumpers. Half way thru the year (hence 1/2) they had the overriders;)

As for a place to get serviced (the car that is) I only Know of one in Hornsby, Clarke Automotive. the rest I know are on the south side of syd.
As for your battery, do both lights on the dash come on when you turn the ignition on, and do they both go out when the motor starts ??

MemberOasis
Custom Title Time!
Going alone...

Threads: 77

Mood: Deep

posted on October 23rd, 2003 at 12:48 AM

I had a 62 model and I used to take it to Clarkes in Hornsby and they were fantastic. Welcome by the way

"Tell him 'We've already got one'"
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on October 23rd, 2003 at 07:04 AM

Maybe Your Battery is not being charged correctly... 6 Volt batteries were troublesome when the cars were new in 1962, so imagine now, with all the electrical contacts in the car being over 40 years old... & the contacts don't get better with age... Your Voltage regulator may be letting You down.. it may be only charging when the engine is high revving and not during normal driving...
The best thing with a 6 volt system is either use a very large battery or even better two 6 volt batteries connected together in parrallel so they are still 6V & Not 12 volts.
Does Your generator light come on dimly now & then....??
Get the Garage to quickly check Your charging system... only takes a couple of minutes.. Tell Us what they say.... The other alternative is to put a battery charger on Your Battery every few nights.
Welcome to the Forum..
You will receive only nice & friendly answers here...
Lee

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Membersugarlips
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

thumbup.gif posted on October 23rd, 2003 at 08:41 AM

Wow, thanks a lot guys, its nice to be welcome! its reassuring to know that im maybe not the only novice enthusiast after all!

So ive established that it is a 12 Volt and the lights are very dim even after revving it for a while. Im gonna get it jump started and do as you suggest - take it to Hornsby. I'll call them when they open and keep y'all informed!

In reply to a question: Yes 2 lights come on on the dash at ignition and go off pretty quickly while its trying to start

Now just by surfing around other threads someone mentioned a 'battery terminal cut off switch' might help - not that i know what one of those is!

Also ive recently learnt that it actally has a 1600 motor - not sure if that is having an effect somehow?

Did i warn that i had heaps of questions!?

Is there a recommended place to get the minor things - a regular parts shop that stock old VW bits like window rubbers for example, there are a bunch of things needed to get 'Ralph' (as he's been christened) in top nick.

Anyway must get 2 work

thanks again!
MemberBlack_math
Custom Title Time!
Blaupunkt

Threads: 59

Mood: Eurotrash

posted on October 23rd, 2003 at 04:17 PM

Fisrt of all welcome to teh forum hope ya have a good time here, and second of all you gonna have to get some sweeeet mags on him:D

http://www.magazinultau.ro/img_db/blaupunkt_logo.gif
MemberBoozer
Custom Title Time!
Demented But Determined

No Avatar

Threads: 129

Mood: What the crap?

posted on October 23rd, 2003 at 10:32 PM

62 beetle's are cool! I have come to this highly suspect scientific conclusion by noting that sugarlips, my brother and I all own them as well as a few other forum members i can't think of they must be cool. As for your battery problems, I had the same prob a few months ago. My Dad and i determined it was because of a faulty regulator and it wasn't charging so everything was running just off the battery. We also stuck in a not-so-hidden kill switch and helps too. Welcome to the best forum on the net!...show us some pics soon please....
Membersquizy
A.k.a.: Paul
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
Thinking about another dub...maybe

Threads: 243

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on October 23rd, 2003 at 11:28 PM

Welcome sugarlips! :thumb

For my 20 cents on your problem, if all ignition / oil / alt lights go out when the car is running, then I think your regulator is ok. If your regulator is arced, then the alt light will stay on.

It may be either your altenator or brushes that may need doing - to give you the spark that recharges your battery as you drive.

Does the car get harder and harder to start, so much so that when you have lights on at night that it will hardly run?

I'm not sure on what I've said above - if someone can correct me that would be good.

Good luck.

Squiz.....
Membersugarlips
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on October 24th, 2003 at 11:07 AM

Hi guys again thanx for the support!

I will post some pics once i fathom out how to do it!

I spoke to a cool guy called Greg at Clarkes as suggested and he was really keen to help, the car is dead as a dodo at the moment so i'll take it to Hornsby on Monday and let you know what happens. He also mentioned the regulator... i imagine the alternator/brushes would be a big job? I presume it involves getting the fan off etc?

On a side note can i also mention how very helpful Vigil roadside assistance have been (3 jumpstarts so far!)
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on October 24th, 2003 at 01:30 PM

Sugarlips,
You can have an alternator or generator, both 12 volts... and the brushes can be renewed while still on the car... The regulator... both on a Generator and the external regulator on an alternator is an easy job to do... You can buy a battery cutout switch just about any where... the most common version fits onto the positive battery terminal with a knob on the top to disconnect the battery... but if You have the alternator/generator regulator replaced etc... you really won't need one... My Son's wifes beetle was doing that with the lights, and it turned out to be the external regulator.... It was OK during the day, but no good at night...
with dim headlamps until the battery went flat.... No Big Dramas yet...
cheers
Lee

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]

Go To Top