[ Total Views: 2485 | Total Replies: 4 | Thread Id: 89346 ]
Author: Subject:  Whats legal in Qld.
MemberJinx
Learner Dubber

Threads: 1

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on March 20th, 2011 at 06:02 PM
Whats legal in Qld.

Hi Rodders and Ratters. Been lurking around this forum for a while. I've read just about every post and even used the search option but there's still a lot of grey areas about what is legal in Qld. I would like to build something like Stoppas VW rod. The Transport Dept dont seem to be very helpful as different (so called) engineers will give you different answers every time you speak to them. Are there any decent engineers that will help? I do know that beam extenders are out for the time being but Dirtbag is working on it. So what exactly in your experiences with QT, am I allowed to modify.

These are the mods I have in mind:
Guards: Cycle or fat wides.I would prefer flat cycle guards but 100mm rear and 75mm wider than stock fat guards should look alright.
Lowering: Dropped spindles, narrowed beams etc. Whats best and legal. About a 50mm to 75mm drop would be ok.
Brakes: Big dscs all round with Chev or Ford stud pattern for a better choice of rims.
Bumpers: Do I need them and if yes, how long do they need to be and cover what etc.
Wheels: How wide or narrow can I go back and front. Was thinking of 15x7 or 15x8 rear and 15x5 or 15x6 front.
Tyres: Rear 225-265x15, front 165-195x15 white walls preferably.
Anything else I need to know.

Something along these lines but probably a bit more basic. Lowered, flat black, cycle or fat guards, red rims a bit wider on the back, white walls, dechromed and smoothed body and no bumpers. No plans for extensive body mods like suicide doors or roof chop yet. So what do you think.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error

Only in bloody Qld :no:. Still doing the same things I did 30 years ago only much better. Too old to change now.
MemberDak-A-Tak
A.k.a.: Peter Page
Custom Title Time!
Volksie Pete

Threads: 216

Mood: faster ,faster ,Done

posted on March 21st, 2011 at 09:38 PM

Was planing to build one myself , have spoken to 3 engineers , all run the other way !
You have to fined a engineer who will help and sign there life away .
MemberJinx
Learner Dubber

posted on March 21st, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dak-A-Tak
Was planing to build one myself , have spoken to 3 engineers , all run the other way !
You have to fined a engineer who will help and sign there life away .

Thanks for the reply Dak. Basically what I expected to hear but thought I would give it a try anyway.:fakesniff:

Only in bloody Qld :no:. Still doing the same things I did 30 years ago only much better. Too old to change now.
MemberSTIDUB
Custom Title Time!
Over it.

Threads: 57

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Worn out, for no benefit.

posted on March 21st, 2011 at 11:43 PM

doesnt help you much but the guy im going through is cool with whatever wheel/tyre combo i choose within reason obviously, provided they dont protrude outside the body so im going 7s & 9s, could go 8s & 10s at a push but everything would end up VERY cozy, especially on the rear
asked about beam extensions when i considered buying that army styled rod & sadly that was a no, your now talking ICV territory - i left the enquiry on that one right there, one dub in the works is time/money consuming enough for me!

Volkswagen Drivers Club of Queensland - member :)

STIDUB - yep its still a work in progress

Vwdcq club car racing/ and crashing while my bug isn't finished.

The above are personal views, no more, no less
MemberJinx
Learner Dubber

posted on March 22nd, 2011 at 09:20 AM

Hi STI, thanks for the info. Is the engineer you're going through a private or QT engineer. Most engineers dont want to put their dangly bits on the line for even minor mods. So does anyone have contact details for engineers that can sign off on a Volksrod. Mods intended are lowered 50mm with dropped spindles (or legal alternative lowering method), cycle guards and no bumpers. I want to make sure this is do able before I go out and buy the bug.:rolleyes:

Go To Top